Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why make quilting so hard? >

Why make quilting so hard?

Why make quilting so hard?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Why make quilting so hard?

Sew some fabric together following a pattern. Put a piece of batting between quilt top and backing. Secure anyway that is easy. Sew the layers together to hold. Sew a binding to hide the raw edges. Done. If you think in terms of simple steps the process becomes more fun. Good workmanship comes with practice and knowing what works for you with experience. Don't agonize over how you messed up or how it looks. Keep going to finish then start another.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Thumbs up

*** I am with you on this one.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sew some fabric together following a pattern. Put a piece of batting between quilt top and backing. Secure anyway that is easy. Sew the layers together to hold. Sew a binding to hide the raw edges. Done. If you think in terms of simple steps the process becomes more fun. Good workmanship comes with practice and knowing what works for you with experience. Don't agonize over how you messed up or how it looks. Keep going to finish then start another.
I think I love you, heh. Its a HOBBY you are supposed to ENJOY! If it isn't FUN, why the heck are you doing it in the first place?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:54 AM

I am doing ok with the piecing, batting and even some quilting (in the ditch of course) but I am having a miserable time with the binding. Perhaps 2.5 in is too narrow and the binding fabric is often crooked?.....maybe I dont square off properly? well I will just keep on practicing....thank you for the encouragement.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM

You're all so right! It's supposed to be fun. There are days when we have to take a step back and remember that!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by mario1360 View Post
I am doing ok with the piecing, batting and even some quilting (in the ditch of course) but I am having a miserable time with the binding. Perhaps 2.5 in is too narrow and the binding fabric is often crooked?.....maybe I dont square off properly? well I will just keep on practicing....thank you for the encouragement.
I just finished a wall hanging and cut my binding 3 inches wide! I had to make my seam 1/2 wide but that's what I wanted to do anyway. It turned out great! who says your binding has to be a certain width?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Time to breathe if quilting is causing the stress it is supposed to be taking away. Sometimes I get so 'into' a project it becomes work. Yet I get crabby when real life takes me away from the project for a while. But what a Great feeling to get back into it only to find it enjoyable once again.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Mario, I also had trouble with narrow binding ; so, now I cut mine 3 inches and I have enough to make a good size binding that I can handle easier. Do whatever works for you!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mario1360 View Post
I always make mine bias, its just easier to handle.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:20 AM

I also think it should be fun. I joined a group and as one of the only "quilters" the leader asked me to be the person who checks the patterns she was writing up....you know, how much fabric, how many blocks, size of the blocks.....I had to tell her no....I don't quilt that way. I can do complicated patterns, I just choose not to. I like to find an easy pattern, cut a few pieces, piece a few and then go back and cut some more. It keeps me from being bored. I think everyone should take a simple beginners course in quilting to learn the rules....then they can go from there and ignore the rules they want. They should know how to make a 1/4" seam so that if they want to go larger or smaller, they can do it. Remember when they said you could only use cotton fabric....well, I've pieced a cotton front and used fleece for the backing with no batting. I know what it looks like so I can make changes and know they'll work. If I make a mistake....my question before I get out my seam ripper is "can I live with it?".....if I can't, I will rip out, but 9 times out of 10 I'm the only one who would notice. Quilting is my fun.