Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not pre-wash fabric? >

Why not pre-wash fabric?

Why not pre-wash fabric?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM

Default Why not pre-wash fabric?

I typically strongly prefer to pre-wash all my fabrics. I do this for two reasons: first, to remove allergens since I work exclusively with baby quilts; second, because I sometimes use fusible web and the instructions suggest it works more consistently with washed fabrics.

But I'm looking to create my first ever entry into a quilting competition. Once again, it's a baby quilt. All my fabrics are cotton. They range in color from bright red to dark blue to off-white. The quilt shop lady suggested only washing the bright red Kona solid. If it won't impact how the quilt shows, I'd really prefer to just gently wash and dry everything but I wondered if perhaps there is some reason (other than economy of time) that people do not pre-wash their fabrics before piecing/applique.

I do understand that I should not wash the quilt once it's assembled until after the show. But can anyone explain if there is a quality issue that arises with fabric that is washed before it's cut?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Power Poster

GoGo ahead and prewash everything if you are a person who generally does. If you visit a big ( or small) quilt show you can not tell which quilts have been made with prewashed, or not prewashed without asking. Visit well known ( award winning) quilter's websites, blogs you will find many prewash everything as it enters their home- some never prewash. Many also launder their finished quilt before considering entering it in a show. Oils, soil and markings need to be removed. I've won many ribbons over the years, all of my quilts are laundered as soon as the binding is finished, I consider that the final step to completion.

I should add, about the ( quality) question.... If the fabric is good quality fabric it is still good quality after its washed. Laundering does not change the quality ( unless of course its some type of can not be washed fabric)

Last edited by ckcowl; 07-01-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 AM

do what makes you happy.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry but I don't have the time to wash fabrics and then repress them. I was in competition with my quilts and I prefer piecing with the stiffness that is already in the fabric. The fabric looks fresh and crisp off the bolt while if you wash it, I think that crispness is gone when washed. I also live in an apt complex and don't have the convenience of having a washing & dryer in my home.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 07-01-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

Is everyone using the same fabric line in the contest? Maybe she doesn't want your washed fabric to be different from the others? Wash or not to wash is up to you.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I am a pre-washer of everything, unless I know the fabric is going to be used in a OBW type of quilt, where it must be stacked and cut. The only time I've known fabric to look worse after washing is if it was poor quality to begin with, so full of sizing that it appeared limp after washing. I don't think anyone could look at a quilt in a show and detect whether the fabric was pre-washed or not. Also many quilters wash and block their quilts prior to showing.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:23 AM

I agree, do whatever you usually do. Competition has enough stress involved without having to change the 'basics' of your comfort level during construction. If you're used to prewashing everything, stick with that. Personally, I prewash everything no matter what the future holds.

And a word about not washing finished pieces before entry, don't forget you'll still need to block it so don't rule out wet blocking if necessary. You never know, dry blocking may not be enough.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-01-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:28 AM

I have a friend who washes her fabrics and also wins ribbons. After she prewashes she starches the heck out of them. She uses liquid starch about 3/4 starch and 1/4 water.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 AM

I think washing or not washing, is a personal choice, personally I don't, although when I first started quilting, I did. I DO wash, if the fabrics are batiks, or if I'm making an article of clothing and the fabric used is cotton.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
. . . The quilt shop lady suggested only washing the bright red Kona solid. . . .

!
I think that particular quilt shop lady was full of a LOT of only partially digested baked beans!

Do as the others have suggested. Decent fabric when gently washed should look as good after the first few washings as when it's new.

If you prefer a flatter look to your finished quilts, wash the battings (if washable when unquilted) before using them, too.