Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Why not use the same thread in the bobbin?

Blog Entries
    I use the same in the top and bottom a lot :D:D:D

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I always use the same thread in the bobbin as the top, but to be honest it never occurred to me to use a lighter thread in the bobbin. I will have to try that. :) But I've never used 28 weight before...only 40 or 50 weight cotton. How thick would that be even? It makes me think of thread you'd use for bobbin work or something. I'd love for you to experiment and post some pictures of your results. :)

lots use the same top and bottom thread, the only reason not to is if it does not match with the backing...or you want the stitches to disappear on the back. or if using a decorative thread (like metalic's, varigated or invisible) you would not want to use them top and bottom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Always test you FMQ on same fabric as quilt and with thread you want to use. Some machines like certain thread better than others so same on top and bottom should work better. I often use poly thread for FMQ due to the variety of colors. A contrasting thread for quilting should show up even it it not a heavy weight. Tension issues usually can be adjusted. I tried SID with clear on top and black on bottom and could not get tension right so black bobbin was not showing on top. I changed bobbin thread. Also "eyelash stitching" on bottom is not ususally caused by tension but by speed of FMQ. Small "eyelashs" should go away with washing or use but larger ones need to be removed and restitched.

I am curious, what is Eyelash Stitches? :?:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3