Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

I went to Joanne's yesterday only because they have rotary cutters and blades 50% off and books 40%. I try to avoid that place like the plague but I thought it was a good sale. So I buy 2 books, a cutter, a couple of packages of blades and a ruler (which I planned on using my 40% coupon on). Well it wasn't until I went home to find out that they only gave me 40% off 1 book and used the 40% coupon on the other book and charged me full price on the ruler ( that of course I really didn't need but I figured - wee you know - it's 40%). So I went back today to get an adjustment and the girl couldn't figure out why it was wrong. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! To make a long story short I ended up returning the book and ruler and walkeed out of there mad at myself for going there in the first place. Thanks for letting me vent - no one in my family really feels my pain on this matter.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 AM

They just closed my local Joanns where the girls were awsome and I rarely had a problem. When I did it was handeled quickly. I need to go 30 miles now to the nearest Joanns and the girls there are rude and condisending usually. It makes no sense.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I avoid JoAnne's because I hate their coupons. There is always some problem with them -- good for only one item, the coupon has expired, or as in your case cashier misapplication of the coupon. I realized I was spending *more* money, not less, when I went to JoAnne's with coupons so I just stopped going.

Now I purchase rotary blades in quantity off eBay for $1.25 a blade or so, and I have to make the purchase only once every year or two. We have "Amazon prime", so I often buy quilting books from Amazon. Even if not quite 40% off, they are only a dollar or two more that way.

Rulers -- I have such a collection already, I don't need to be tempted any more!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Oh Lordy, you should see the menagerie that tend our JoAnn's. I love the comfort of a middle aged lady with experience in both sewing and the material. We have a staff of punk rockers! I cannot be convinced they have ever 'loaded a needle'. That's what one called it. I was shopping for thread and he/she said, "when I load my needles".........la la la la. I'm horrible aren't I? Guess I'd better get back to my sewing, I have some needles that need loading. chuckle
Old 02-28-2010, 12:01 PM

I only use JoAnns for notions and with a coupon. I have had some problems with their fabic here in California. Dye problems, they have shorted me almost 3 or four inches, 3 times when they measured and cut, and they always cut they don't give you any over what you ask for, so no room for error. The last quilt, I could not hand quilt, it actually was something to do with the fabric. I was using, same batting, thread, changed needles I can't tell you how many times I changed my needle, thinking that had to be the problem.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Sorry you had such a rotten experience. I would have left the book behind too.

Now don't shoot me for saying this:shock: , but my experience has been just the opposite. I get Joanns circulars with the coupons and sometimes get extras online. I don't usually buy fabric, but notions, books, tools, etc. The folks at our Joanns are wonderful...helpful, always interested in your current project, even the 2 gentlemen. We joke that it is part of our weekly grocery shopping excursion, cause most weeks we stop in. Hubby likes to check out the damaged and clearance items (got a $100 cutting table for $25, a sewing machine rolling case for $8 and an Ott light for $10). I don't always buy anything, usually only if I have a coupon, but sometimes they have their better material for 50% additional of the 50% stuff (once it was additional 75%). The girls have gotten to know us, always welcome us. They just hired a young girl who says she is having a great time and learning so much. She is always very helpful because if she doesn't know the answer, she finds it out. This Christmas season I had one of their employees greet me by name in a mall store when we were both shopping.
So, all in all, my Joann's is great! Just don't go in on your lunch hour, because it seems everyone else does and it can take a while to get your fabric cut.

Sorry so many of you have problems with your Joanns. I guess I am really lucky.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 PM

It is good to know I'm not the only one with problems at Joanne's! I get coupons in the mail and end up giving them to friends who really like their merchandise. Over the years I have found fabric more expensive yet cheaper looking and their service has to be the worst! E-bay is great for blades and I find SOME of the on-line quilting shops cheaper with much better quality.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:13 PM

I guess I will have to try eBay for the blades, I never would have thought of that.
Thanks for all of the replies, I am glad I am not the only one with problems.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM

I buy from Joanne's quite often. I am on a limited income and a student, the fabric is more affordable for me there. The coupon issue can be frustrating (everything on sale and can't use the coupon). I do have issues with them occassionally. I have two Joanne's close to me. One is about 5 minutes away and the other only about 10 minutes away. I usually go to the farther one because it is a super center and I have less problems at that store. For me, it is sometimes worth just sucking it up and going there because it means I can make more quilts then if I were to buy everything at my LQS.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry to hear about our problems with JoAnn's...the service/knowledge seems to vary so much from store to store...