Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Paper Piece? >

Why Paper Piece?

Why Paper Piece?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Why Paper Piece?

I was reading the post on which paper is best for paper piecing and was wondering why paper piece? I've seen some patterns using that technique, but I don't the benefit of it. Can someone help me out? Who knows, maybe I'm missing something really cool!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:09 AM

With paper piecing you can get precision that you can't necessarily get with regular piecing. Particularly, New York Beauty blocks and the like. All those tiny points are virtually impossible to achieve in any other manner.

Some folks also just like the technique for all of their piecing. Again, precision that you (or those who prefer that method) may not be able to achieve any other way. There is no precise cutting. Very precise sewing and then trim after you have sewn.

Personally I don't mind the technique when necessary but do not feel compelled to use that method for 'regular' piecing.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

YES, I TOTALLY agree with NJ Quilter:

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
With paper piecing you can get precision that you can't necessarily get with regular piecing. Particularly, New York Beauty blocks and the like. All those tiny points are virtually impossible to achieve in any other manner.
The other advantage is that if your pieces are cut on the bias, they won't go wonky on you because of the support of the paper. It can be challenging with the flipping and sewing procedures, but once you understand and try this technique, most quilters love it.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 AM

I don't think paper piecing is something folks are luke warm about. I happen to love it - but lots of folks hate it. My DGD who is now 12 loves it too because she can sew complicated blocks easily that she would not otherwise be able to manage with regular piecing. Perfect points and perfect matching are just two of the things that i think are easier to achieve with pp'ing....particularly some of the complex Mariner's Compass blocks. If you have not seen the pattern before - google "glacier star quilt" - a great example.
I'm prejudiced - but you really should give it a try to see what you think.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I use it when there's a really odd angle, weird size patches or a really tiny block. I made a quilt with 3" sashing and wanted sawtooth stars in the cornerstones. I needed to make flying geese units that finished 1.5" X 0.75", so I used a graphics program to create paper pieced versions.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM

I agree with NJ Quilter too. I like paper piecing especially when working with bias edges and small blocks.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Paper piecing almost guarantees perfect blocks. Take look at Judy Niemeyer quilt patterns to see why paper piecing is so popular: http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/
Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

You can make blocks that can not be made any other way.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 AM

I am not a fan but there are certain patterns that can only be made by paper piecing. I did a puppy pillow that would have been a nightmare. Also, when I did mini blocks for a mug rug I paper pieced because it was easier than trying to be accurate with tiny little pieces of fabric.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:47 PM

I agree with NJQuilter and Paper Princess. I don't understand why people use PP for simple blocks like square-in-a-square or log cabin blocks, but I do know that I would never try to make an American Beauty block or a Mariner's Compass any other way.