Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why it pays to have your machines all the same brand.

London, Ontario, Canada
    Blog Entries

Why it pays to have your machines all the same brand.

So, I was sewing away on my Janome Horizon 7700, doing about 20 yards of blind hemming for a pleated bed skirt. I really hadn't used a blind hem foot before, but wow, does it ever make it easier.
    Unfortunately, the fabric I was using was decorator weight, so when it came to going over the thick seams, I had to 'help' the fabric through a bit. I guess I tugged more than I thought. I pulled things just enough out of allignment to break a needle on the little blade in the middle of the foot. That bent the blade and twisted it enough that even though I straightened it with my hemostats the best I could, It didn't sew well after that.
    Then I had an 'a ha" moment. My 'take to class' machine is also a Janome (QC6260) So I searched into the gadget box and sure enough, it had a similar blind hemming foot. Snapped it on and kept on sewing !
    Yay for surprises at 1 am.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Upland CA
    Awesome, glad it worked out for you!!!!

Yes there is a huge benefit in having machines by the same manufacture. If I think about all the $$ invested in special feet for my machine... and the cost I would have by changing manufactures... it very quickly adds up to alot .. a real lot of money.

Southern California
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is wonderful to be able to interchange the feet between machines. It sure came in handy for you! Glad you could keep working on your project! I have 3 Pfaffs and love being able to share all their parts.
    Southern California

Mechanicsville, IA
    Hurray for you. I have the same thing with a Bernina Artista 640 and a White Pearl. We are collecting all Singer vintage machines so there is some overlap there as well.
    Cheryl Robinson
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter