Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why the puckers????????!!!!! >

Why the puckers????????!!!!!

Why the puckers????????!!!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that the top is not pinned or basted as tightly as the back--more fabric play in the sandwich. Try basting it with (ugh!) long basting stitches after you have restretched it on a table using clamps. Hopefully that will help with the moving fabric on the top.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Dee

Maybe you are pulling the fabric too hard while stitching. Are you using the right needle for the fabric? Did you change your needle-maybe its bent or blunt.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM

I can feel your pain! I've been there. I too did the things you have done, starch heavily tape down to the floor, add batt, then starched top, pin with safety pins (1inch so little) no more than a palms width. I've used walking feet, freemotion, etc. I've made more quilts on my old mechanical machine, but I have made better ones on my computer machine. I don't think I have any of the puckers since getting my computer machine. I also found I did MUCH better working on the dining room table. The extra space behind my machine and to the side, made quilting a king size very do able. This last quilt I had lots of issues with tension, but that was I think due to a thinner bottom thread (bottom line, and embroidery bobbin thread).

There have been lots of suggestions here, I think I would try and get at least a nights sleep before you tackle it again. I've found that my frustration level causes me to make mistakes, and sometimes sleeping on it helps to figure out something new. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 AM

I also think it is partially due to the quilt top not being flat to begin with. Not paying attention when pressing will stretch fabrics... I also wonder if instead of stitchin in the ditch, if there was echo quilting done, some of the puckers could be worked out.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM

This has been a very interesting thread, I also have had the same problem for years and it was this reason I went to QAYG
I have a Janome 6500, could one of you helpful lady's and gentleman tell me what foot pressure you have when doing SITD please
I must admit my juki is much better at sewing in the ditch but still have one or two puckers,but I am going to try pushing the fabric towards the walking foot
Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM

It almost looks like the tension is too tight. I'd loosen the top tension a bit. It also looks like you've created a slight pleat. Maybe one of the solutions is to STOP using the fusible batting and try and baste without it. Thinner batting may give you a more successful result as well.

But take a picture of the WHOLE quilt for us. I'll bet we'll love it and won't notice these "issues". And once it's washed, you may not notice them either.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

If the backing is pulled really tight before layering the batting and top on it - when it is released/relaxed, the top will pucker up a little bit.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM

This thread was started 1 1/2 years ago and she hasn't posted in over a year.