Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why sell Janomes on TV? >

Why sell Janomes on TV?

Why sell Janomes on TV?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Default Why sell Janomes on TV?

We are on vacation in much-warmer-than New England Florida and I caught one of the shopping channels selling a red horizon for less than $700 with no shipping. Why would Janome do this? It was a little tempting but I remembered what I've read about the bugs when this machine came out. Anyway, I was surprised to see this. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

From what I can find out, HSN is contacted by a manufacturer and HSN gives specifications to what they want if they sell the item. It has to be a better buy then going to the store, maybe the same price as a store but with many bonus and extras that come in a package. HSN doesn't like a lot of returns so it has to pass their quality control. I'm sure other shopping channels are the same way. If you watch the sewing shows on HSN most sell out in a day. That's thousands of machines sold.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Interesting. I wish I had seen that show.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Maybe to reach a different demographic of buyers than the normal sales venues reach?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! You did not buy one? I would have snatched it up in a second, if you see it again please let me know. The used red faces are selling on Ebay for around $1,700.

I suspect it may have to do with the new 7700 being released so all the "new" red face ones need to be sold asap.

I'm going to have to start staliking the silly HSN now.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM

This also gives people that aren't close to a Janome dealership a chance to buy a good machine. The show was one really early here and then again during my ladies bible study - wished I could have watched it.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 AM

I do not know what bugs you are talking about but mine never had any
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Banned

Hsn did not sell the Horizon, they sold another machine with a red face the Janome Quilters Computerized Sewing Machine Model #49360. It is a standard size sewing machine, not the one with the extended bed.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewincircles View Post
Hsn did not sell the Horizon, they sold another machine with a red face the Janome Quilters Computerized Sewing Machine Model #49360. It is a standard size sewing machine, not the one with the extended bed.
Whew...I know machines depreciate, but dang, if it was the Horizon going for less than $700 after I what I paid for mine a few years ago.

Babobw - there were a couple issues with the very first released - the single needle sliding plate was popping off them like popcorn, some of the feed dogs needed adjustments, and the quarter inch foot didn't work right (which Janome replaced for free to all who registered their machines). Janome worked hard to make things right.

I never had any issues with mine, either, but the first ones out did.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sewincircles View Post
Really? It said the msn price was $1230 and it sure looked like the Horizon. Glad I didn't buy it if this is true. DH was really pushing for me to.