Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why is it so different? >

why is it so different?

why is it so different?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 PM

I just tried to FMQ on my Janome 6500 and man it's so hard! I think it goes alot faster than I'm used to so it feels like I just cant keep up with it and my stitches are super small. When I FMQ on my little Brother it wasn't like this and I used to go super fast. I had to put the Janome on medium speed tonight just so my stitches would look somewhat normal.

Is this just because I'm not used to it yet?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Oh and I forgot to add... every now and then when I was FMQ the machine would seem to catch on something and stop like it ran over a big heavy seam and got stuck but there wasn't anything there. Are the feed dogs swallowing my material? I had to break the thread and tug it out of the feed dogs. I'm worried it's going to rip a hole in one of my quilts.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Administrator

you have correctly identified the built-in speed control as part of the solution. that's one of the reasons the machine has that feature. a speed control isn't quite as fancy-shmancy as a stitch regulator, but it is quite helpful.

if you have remembered to lower your feed dogs and your sandwich is still "catching" on something then keep watching this topic. i am definitely not qualified to provide advice on this one. my own FMQ skills are ... shall we say ... stinko. :lol:
Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Sounds scary! You're trying to help me with machine envy issues, right?

I'll bet you'll get used to it soon. It might be useful to do a small practice piece with no thread so that you can get used to the speed without the thread piling up and catching. When you keep up with the machine, I'll bet that won't happen any more.

If the problem continues, re-read the manual, following each possible change - thread type, threading procedure, needle (type, turned correctly, threaded the right direction?), tension, speed, presser foot, lowering of the presser bar, type of needle plate, feed dogs, and bobbin thread and tension, and if there's nothing else to consider and the problem persists, call the dealer. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM

thanks so much! I think I just wasn't able to keep up with the machine LOL. I'll learn :) if i keep the machine... i'm still not sure.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Forgot to say, you could have a look at the tension by making a practice sandwich and pulling it quickly straight through so that the stitches are long. If that can be done without difficulty and the stitches are well balanced, probably your speed is the only problem.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Forgot to say, you could have a look at the tension by making a practice sandwich and pulling it quickly straight through so that the stitches are long. If that can be done without difficulty and the stitches are well balanced, probably your speed is the only problem.
oh that's a good idea!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
Oh and I forgot to add... every now and then when I was FMQ the machine would seem to catch on something and stop like it ran over a big heavy seam and got stuck but there wasn't anything there. Are the feed dogs swallowing my material? I had to break the thread and tug it out of the feed dogs. I'm worried it's going to rip a hole in one of my quilts.
I have a Janome 6500 and have no problem FMQ on it. When I first started it did take me awhile to find "my sweet spot" (the speed and movement that works for you and your machine). I do adjust my speed, slide it to the middle, otherwise at high/fast I have the 'mini' stitches or loopies on the back when taking curves.

Is your machine in a cabinet or on the table with your acrylic around it. Before I got my cabinet (now have a nice flat surface for my machine and quilt), the weight of the quilt would get caught on the acrylic and would cause me some anger issues.

Feed dogs - well I have tried it both ways. But most of the time I have the FD's down.

The 6500 is wonderful for FMQ, but you have to "find you sweet spot".

Also I do wear 'Machingers' gloves (love them), they really help it moving my quilt around.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM

When I FM with my Janome 6500, the foot will get caught on the thread and stop the machine if I try to make sharp narrow curves. I'm using the C shaped FM foot that came with the machine and now know to open up my curves and slow down my speed. Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I have a Janome 6500 and have no problem FMQ on it. When I first started it did take me awhile to find "my sweet spot" (the speed and movement that works for you and your machine). I do adjust my speed, slide it to the middle, otherwise at high/fast I have the 'mini' stitches or loopies on the back when taking curves.

Is your machine in a cabinet or on the table with your acrylic around it. Before I got my cabinet (now have a nice flat surface for my machine and quilt), the weight of the quilt would get caught on the acrylic and would cause me some anger issues.

Feed dogs - well I have tried it both ways. But most of the time I have the FD's down.

The 6500 is wonderful for FMQ, but you have to "find you sweet spot".

Also I do wear 'Machingers' gloves (love them), they really help it moving my quilt around.

Good luck
yeah I think i had it going to fast for sure at first. I slowed it down to med and it was much better but every now and then the bobbin would get stuck on the back of my quilt. I have seen a post here where someone said the bobbin thread gets caught on the feed dogs (even with them down) unless you have a seperate plate for it? I don't know...

Yeah i also told him the table was moving and annoying and he said "yeah it was walking away huh?" so i guess this is a common issue as well. I ended up taking it off last night and putting it aside lol it wasn't working.

I used the gloves too I love those! They really help me to control the quilt without so much stress from having to "push" on it so much!