Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is it so much more expensive here? >

Why is it so much more expensive here?

Why is it so much more expensive here?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
Does anyone know why there is such a massive difference? I'm tempted to order it from the US and get a transformer for it!
We now live in an age of a global economy. Goods are shipped all over the world and depending on the value of the currency in the country it's being shipped to, determines the price. In countries where the currency is devalued or worth less than the country the goods were made or the country where its corporate HQ is located, it will take more of their currency to make the purchase.

as an example . . .after WWI . . .inflation was so bad in Germany . . .it took an entire wheel barrow of German Marks just to buy a loaf of bread.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Don't you have a VAT tax in the UK? That might be some of the price difference. As for haggling, it probably just depends on supply and demand--if they have lots of inventory they likely would be more willing to work with you on the price. On a big ticket item like this I always offer cash for a 5-10% discount as they save the credit card interchange fees of about 5%. Just ask them to work with you on the price--all they can do is say no. If they won't come down on the price ask if they can throw in some accessories like extra bobbins, needles, carrying case, any pressure feet that you want that doesn't come with it, etc. I bargain on many things and more often than not I get something from the seller. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 PM

See if you can get your dealer to throw in some maintenance. I got five years of maintenance free when I negotiated.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM

First thing that came to my mind was VAT and/or import taxes.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 PM

Ask for a discount! Start high? 100 off then if they say no walk away! If they want sale they will dicker with you!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Whilst haggling isn't as common here as it is in the US, I do it all the time, including John Lewis, lol (department store).

There's only one LQS here, but I've asked the owner a couple of times if she'll match internet prices for items - whole roll of Bondaweb, sewing machine etc. When I bought my machine there was a special offer on several websites for a free extension table - I asked if she would match the deal - she did.

Re fabric - I buy from the US all the time, particularly eBay US. Even counting the cost of a Priority Mail envelope at $23.95 (for up to 8 or 9 yards) still works out cheaper that paying $22.50 a metre (39")! I'm waiting on a yard of particular fabric from an eBay seller - cost $6.95, shipping $8.95 is still a good deal compared with $22.50! Shop around for shipping costs. Small items won't incur duty or tax.

Can't help with the Juki - it's not a popular model here. I think there's only one LQS in Scotland that sells a couple of the models.

Last edited by Knitette; 05-28-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 PM

Good luck, let us know what the outcome was.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Those of you who are buying several yards of fabric at a time from the US - don't you ever get stung for customs duty? If the shop has declared the value of the fabric on the customs label, you're going to be over the limit and in danger of having to pay. I think Customs only do spot checks, but one of my parcels was caught. It vanished for 3 months, and I assumed it was lost, then I got a demand for duty to be paid before I could collect it - and it was expensive. Since then I've restricted myself to 3 or 4 yards at a time, but US postage has gone up so much, as people have commented, that it's not always worthwhile. Fortunately I have friends who live in the US for some of the time but are based here, so sometimes I get fabric sent to them and they bring it over.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 PM

The difference in the price of so many goods is blatent, and I suspect a lot of it is just profiteering. Why should a Janome machine, not made in the US, so being imported to both countries, cost so much more here? I paid 300 pounds for a laptop that was $300 in the States. It makes me very cross - I think that much of the time we're just being ripped off. It also makes life very difficult for quilt shop owners here: understandably people buy fabric from the much cheaper American sites, but where does that leave people struggling to run a business and a service for quilters here?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 AM

A lot boils down to economy of scale - there simply isn't the demand here, coupled with our 20% tax on goods, compared to many US states of 9 or 11%. Less competition invariably means higher prices.

I agree with the difficulty for LQS owners and support mine as much as I can afford by attending drop-ins and classes regularly and hiring their Gammill. I also ask family to buy me vouchers for it when present shopping. However I usually only buy fabric when it's reduced or on sale.

With regards Customs - I've only been charged a couple of times and even then it still worked out cheaper after I paid import duty, tax and handling fee!