Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: WhY?

Why don't the patterns tell you the finished size of the parts of a block. I am working on a quilt that has 80 flying geese and for some reason I can't get them to come out! The main piece is 3.5x 2 inches high and the other pieces are 2" square. Is there a formula to figure this out? They are part of a 6.5" block.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    If I am reading this right..you are starting with a 3.5 x 2 rectangle..then sewing on the diagonal line across the 2" sq. on both corners of the rectangle. This will give you a finished flying geese unit of 3.5 x 2. Is it suppose to be 6.5" square when finished? for it to finish at that size you would to start with 2.5 x 3.5 rectangle, sew 2.5 sqs on each side then put 6 of those units together. Two sewn across by 3 sewn down. I hope I haven't totally confused you..
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Blog Entries
    It sure would be nice wouldn't it :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Grinster
    Why don't the patterns tell you the finished size of the parts of a block. I am working on a quilt that has 80 flying geese and for some reason I can't get them to come out! The main piece is 3.5x 2 inches high and the other pieces are 2" square. Is there a formula to figure this out? They are part of a 6.5" block.
    Your unfinished Flying Geese will be 3x2 and the finished Geese will be 3x1 (standard Geese are always twice as wide as they are high). The unfinished block will be 6x6 and the finished block will be 6x6. Four stacked Geese in two columns (8 Geese total) will make up one block. Does that help?

Thanks for the replys, I think I get it! The standard sizes being twice as wide as high really helps! DUH...