Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are we always in a hurry? >

Why are we always in a hurry?

Why are we always in a hurry?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 AM

I'm not a rusher either. But I like to be able to have multiple things at different stages so I can do different things depending on my mood, or my energy or concentration level. After three-plus years I still like all phases of the process, but I am still a nervous wreck on the quilting, and I won't cut any fabric after 6PM!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

.....then I can move on to the next quilt on my waiting list. There are so many great patterns I want to try on my waiting list and I know I will never get to them all.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I like to hurry and finish. I want to see the finished quilt. I have an advanced quilt in the making and I pick it up every now and then when I want to savor the process. Mostly it's fast piecing and simple patterns that I enjoy making.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Usually people have deadlines to get the quilt done such as a birthday or a wedding or a holiday. That is what happens to me. When I was in competition with my quilts, I was literally sewing the binding to the back as my friend drove me to where I was to drop off the quilt. Never enough time in the day for me.
True enough about deadlines, but I would love to know how many of you can actually hand sew in a moving vehicle????? I would arrive with a bloodstained quilt.

Oh wow! Good for you, Maniac!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
True enough about deadlines, but I would love to know how many of you can actually hand sew in a moving vehicle????? I would arrive with a bloodstained quilt.

Oh wow! Good for you, Maniac!
At least she wasn't driving!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 AM

I think it is just a carryover from the rest of our lives--too much to do and too little time to do it. Now that I am retired I am trying to 'slow down and smell the roses' more, but my 'type A' personality just keeps creeping in!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Why did the Chicken cross the road? To get to the other side.
Why did the Quilter finish the quilt? To start another one!

(just kidding). I don't rush through, but I do like to set a goal and finish by that time.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Finishing a quilt quickly means I can move on to another quilt that's swirling around in my head. I guess I'm different in that I just want to finish, send the quilt on its merry way, and move on. I don't keep very many that I make, but I also haven't done any "heirloom quality" quilts. So I definitely enjoy the process more than the finished product.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM

I try to make myself slow down and enjoy the process. Tackling slightly more challenging projects helps. I tend to pass by things that seem too easy - unless I'm on a deadline for something quick. Don't like deadlines. Same thing with precuts - not nearly as much of a thought process involved, so these tend to go quickly
Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 AM

Sometimes when I start a quilt I just get anxious to see what it is going to look like in my colors and my setting with my choice of borders. I may finish one quilt quickly and feel a real sense of accomplishment, while another quilt I work on at the same time may take me months to complete. I do enjoy the whole process!