Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 04-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Often when people know how much a quilt would cost them, they decide they don't really want the quilt. Pricing is ALWAYS a problem.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:43 PM

We have had this sort of conversation before, so I have learned to say no very quickly. A lady that goes to our church asked me to make her a T-shirt quilt for her. I was saying no I only quilt for myself and family, before she was finished with the request. When she started talking about it and found out I quilt, I could tell she was going to ask for one. I'm quite sure she would have offered to pay, I just don't want to get into business. Like most of you, it's my hobby and not work.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:21 PM

I have made and gifted all of my children and grandchildren quilts. Now they are asking for me to make them special quilts for the second time around. I think they do not realize the entire cost of making a quilt and paying to have it quilted not to mention the time. Most people have no idea of the actual cost and are shocked if you tell them. On a fixed income it is difficult to gift them. Certainly no one would pay the actual cost not even including the labor.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by KARENBOUTQUILTIN View Post
Certainly no one would pay the actual cost not even including the labor.
That is not true. I sold a quilt for enough to pay my mortgage for 3 months. She saw the quilt, she wanted it, I named my price, I stuck to it, she paid it. Simple enough.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
That is not true. I sold a quilt for enough to pay my mortgage for 3 months. She saw the quilt, she wanted it, I named my price, I stuck to it, she paid it. Simple enough.
I agree -- someone wanted to buy a quilt from a friend of mine -- she didn't want to sell it. She put an astronomical price on it -- $10,000. The individual bought it!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

Aw... when I opened this topic it was because I was hoping to read something about how wonderful it is to give quilts, a gift from our hearts and hands. I was hoping there was going to be some touching story or something. I'm disappointed to find it's just about dollars and cents, and how we are never paid enough for our quilting. Bah.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 PM

Next time, give the person wanting the quilt made a rate per hour you will charge for making the quilt. Then have them go to the quilt shop, pick out and purchase the pattern, the fabric, the backing and the thread. After they see what it will cost them it's likely they will decide to buy something else.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM

I just thought I would comment that when I work on something for someone, I have downloaded from Longarm university the contract that the website owner suggested. It is the best $25 I spent in my life. You sit down with the customer and fill in all the items of the quilt and how much it is to be....what you are going to quilt on it....and then you both sign it. This protects the customer from you changing what they want, and you because they know what it is going to cost.