Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it >

Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it

Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Always 1/4 inch shy all around. Checked my measurements twice when cutting, checked my 1/4 inch seam with each seam, still came out a perfect 12 instead of 12 1/2. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroowwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll
Old 01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I don't know the answer, but will be watching for it. :roll: :roll:
this has also happened to me. Went back and did a s cant 1/4, and it came out right then.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

something is fishy in Denmark!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

at least it is a perfect something! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM

I always do a scant 1/4 inch. Just one thread difference on each seam can make a huge difference in the size of the block.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Oh, this is sure frustrating.
Hope you get it worked out.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Always 1/4 inch shy all around. Checked my measurements twice when cutting, checked my 1/4 inch seam with each seam, still came out a perfect 12 instead of 12 1/2. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroowwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllll
My first thought is to ask where you are putting your ruler line when making a cut. If your ruler has thick lines, it could cause your cut piece to be off a thread or two, which quickly adds up when making a block. My second thought is to wonder how thick the thread you are using is. The thicker the thread, the more you will want to sew using a scant quarter inch in order to leave room for the thread thickness. My third thought is ironing. Make sure to press your pieces completely open. I would have never thought of this but I had an instructor point out to me that I was being too gentle (who would've thought!?!) when pressing and I wasn't getting my pieces opened all the way. It wasn't anything obvious since it looked fine but once I became more aggressive with my pressing my pieces started coming out the right size. Fourth, if it isn't you or your machine, check the pattern. There are patterns out there that are simply wrong and will always come out a bit small or large.

The best way to check is to cut three pieces of fabric at 2 1/2 inches. Sew each one together, press open, then measure both the seam and the entire piece. It should come out exactly 6 inches square. If not, why? Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM

MimiSharon, I appreciate you asking this question. I can make 4 blocks all come out the same but that darn 5th block comes out different!! Either 1/4 inch bigger or a 1/4 inch smaller. I've always blamed it on quilting gremlins. Now I know some things to try. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 PM

What block was it?

there are a couple things that come to mind..
the more seams you have in the block..the smaller it may get..Think about the smidge you loose with every seam..

sometimes it is the thinkness of the thread..so the scant 1/4" is the best way to go..

i see that was answered above..tiffany has it..
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by mimisharon
I nearly always use a scant 1/4 inch. Also, I tend to cut into the ruler just a slant, not so you would even notice. I have to really watch to keep the rotary cuttter straight in my hand. A teacher, when I was taking a class one time, told me some right handed people tend to push in and slant toward the ruler.
Hope all the suggestions help!