Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Wool and wool felt? >

Why Wool and wool felt?

Why Wool and wool felt?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Thrift shops are a great place to find wool for quilting, applique and embroidery. I love working with wool! Look for 100% wool - dry cleaning instructions. Then, take it home, deconstruct it, toss it in the washer with hot , hot water ( I usually add a tea kettle or two of boiling to my hot water) and a bit of detergent. Wash on a long cycle. Rinse in Cold water. Toss into a hot dryer. Take it out before its too over dry, otherwise wrinkles are hard to get out. The pieces you have are now felted and ready for use. The edges do not fray so applique is easy,
craft felt is an acrylic fiber and is not washable.
heres a couple of my wool projects I'm working on.
great projects and thanks for the info
Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I can pretty much assure you that once you start working with felted wool you will want to do more. They make wonderful table toppers, candle mats, pin cushions, etc. Many LQS are now carrying felted wool in small cuts, that are much smaller than a FQ. But it is very expensive. I suggest ordering a scrap bag like Bree suggested.

It sounds like your class in embroidery may be focusing on a Penny Rug type sampler where you embroider many different stitches on to wool circles appliqued to squares.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

The right thread is necessary too. . I think you will learn a lot from taking the class and have a good time.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:21 AM

What a sweet bunny!! A different look with his ears down. Nice fabric for him/her!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
What a sweet bunny!! A different look with his ears down. Nice fabric for him/her!
Thank you, Kitsie! If/when you come a mile or so south, stop over at Fiddlesticks and ask Cheran for a kit - it's her original design!
Old 01-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Very pretty projects. Wool does have a lovely look I can see and is textured as well.
Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Thrift shops are a great place to find wool for quilting, applique and embroidery. I love working with wool! Look for 100% wool - dry cleaning instructions. Then, take it home, deconstruct it, toss it in the washer with hot , hot water ( I usually add a tea kettle or two of boiling to my hot water) and a bit of detergent. Wash on a long cycle. Rinse in Cold water. Toss into a hot dryer. Take it out before its too over dry, otherwise wrinkles are hard to get out. The pieces you have are now felted and ready for use. The edges do not fray so applique is easy,
craft felt is an acrylic fiber and is not washable.
heres a couple of my wool projects I'm working on.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice, websites and suggestions. I never would have thought about looking at good will etc. I think I will go to the first class and see what all is entailed. I'd hate to buy scraps only to find they are too small. I'm sure I will be a lot more knowledgable after the 1st class. I appreciate everyone taking time to respond. By the way the bunny is adorable. What town is Fiddlesticks in?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz View Post
By the way the bunny is adorable. What town is Fiddlesticks in?
Vancouver, Washington. Just north of Portland.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:09 PM

I understand what you are asking and I have to say I felt the same way, "why can't I used affordable craft felt?" However, I did purchase some small pieces of wool and it 'molds' so nicely when you are doing applique. I found it to be very forgiving also. I purchased small quantities of it in a variety of colors through some Etsy shops. When I went to our thrift store I found it hard to find 100% wool but that could just be my area. Like someone else said you will probably find it well worth it to take the class. You can always decided not to take anymore. Have fun.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 PM

This is the description of the class I will be taking. There was a sm picture of the project but I couldn't see much detail and was unable to copy it. I'm not sure if the hexagons are wool or only the motifs.
The purpose of our new Stitching Society is to learn embroidery stitches. On the fourth Saturday of each month from 2 to 4 pm you will learn more than 50 embroidery stitches. You will practice your stitches by appliqueing wool motifs onto hexagons and embellishing those motifs.

You can stitch your hexagons and assemble them into a quilt or you can make the hexagons into small projects. The small hexagons make it fun and easy to practice your stitches.

Each month you will receive 15 new “motif” designs. This means that you will get 180 different motifs by the end of the year. You will also get a bonus set of alphabet motifs. You will receive a printed stitch guide for each new stitch that you will be learning.