Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why would I need an EQ7? >

Why would I need an EQ7?

Why would I need an EQ7?

Old 01-26-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Why would I need an EQ7?

My husband has asked me what I want for my BD and I thought of that, but I'm not sure if I really would make use of it or not.

I don't make that many quilts...maybe 2 a year and some wall hangings/table runners...

What are the advantages?

And, can you ever pick them up second hand?

Watson
Old 01-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I bought my copy used for $100 on eBay. I have had a version since 1995. I use it almost every day. I drew up a Double Irish chain for a member named Don. I got inspired to do a quad Irish chain hoping to make it with watercolor purple fabrics. It is terrific to be able to scan your fabric and use them in the design, then you know what your quilt would look like. Also, it is so easy to resize any block with the click of a mouse. There is a learning curve to it. You might want to go and check out their website. It also prints any pattern instantly as PPing. They have a terrific technical support.
Attached Thumbnails watercolor-quad-irish-chain.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I love my EQ and use it all the time. it depends on if you want to design your own quilts. I play on mine all the time. I also use it to put ideas on it for later. When I see something i want to go back to I recreate it on my EQ so I can find it later and explore the possibilities.

You can import pictures and designs right into your EQ and use them in a quilt. I love to change colors and see what different looks I can get. You can import your own fabrics into EQ and then use them in your quilt design so you can see waht it would look like before you use the fabric.

If you'd like to see what it looks like you can see my free tutorials here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/tags/electric+quilt.html

Last edited by Rhonda; 01-26-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:34 PM

I think it depends on what kind of quilter you are. If you like to plan out a quilt, audition fabric for place, and go out and just buy fabric that you need for the quilt you've designed, then maybe you could benefit by having it. On the other hand, I did buy EQ at one time. But I discovered that when I got to the fabric store, I'd fall in love with and be inspired by a particular fabric that had no relation to the quilt I had "planned" to make. Then I'd make a quilt and not even use a pattern I'd done on EQ. So, I've never used it since, never made a quilt using it, and found it boring.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:07 PM

If you are not sure about EQ7, you might want to check out Quilt Design Wizard. It might be something that you would use more than the pricer EQ7. It might suit your needs much better.

Pat
Old 01-26-2016, 03:59 PM

I have it and honestly don't remember the last time I used it. I am not into "designing my own quilts"......too many in books, mags or even individual patterns that I can follow.....that being said, I am not really into computers that much generally, so that's probably why.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:01 PM

I have it and I love it - I design dozens and dozens of quilts on it. Some I make, some are just ideas - doodles, copies of things I saw and wanted to work out how it was laid out, quilts based on photos I've taken of various things (hotel fabrics are great for quilt inspirations - often very graphic)... I really enjoy the design/drawing aspect of quilt making and it lets me play with all SORTS of ideas that I don't have time to actually create in quilt form. And then I can click around and twist it into new shapes and see what happens...often it's ugly but sometimes there are some fun surprises.

Before I had EQ7, I drew my quilts on graph paper, and I still do that too.

If that all sounds like a crashing bore, EQ7 is probably not your thing.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 PM

I know lots of people who make many more digital quilts than they do actual real quilts, you might really enjoy that part of "quilting"!

https://patchworkmaniac.wordpress.com/
https://virtualquilter.wordpress.com/
http://waynekollingersquiltblog.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM

I love it for the way you can use it to design quilts with a variety of block sizes--a huge help when doing t-shirt quilts for customers. And trying out different color placements before I start cutting is a big help. And using it to try out different settings for those quilts like log cabins, etc where there are so many ways to lay them out. And using it to try out quilting on the top layer. so, do I like it? Yes, even though I'm still learning the in/outs. a group of us get together about every month to share what we've learned to do that month, ask questions,etc. That and the non-manual books on Quilt Design and Quilt Block Drawing have been super helpful.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 AM

I have EQ5 and have not felt a need to upgrade...although I may have to just from a computer operating system standpoint. I'm not much of a 'quilt designer' either but I really do like the easy way to 'adapt' patterns with it from those I see elsewhere. EQ has a tendency to be a bit 'generous' with their fabric requirements and some of their cutting instructions can be a bit wasteful because of the way it lays out cuts within the fabric. I don't really mind as I tend to over-buy anyhow in case of booboos. As long as it's not going to 'break the bank', frankly I would go for it. You may find it very helpful as well as enjoyable.