Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why would I want a Singer Redeye? Just asking... are they special? >

Why would I want a Singer Redeye? Just asking... are they special?

Why would I want a Singer Redeye? Just asking... are they special?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM

I have a 1928 model 66 in a 50s-era case but it it not a Redeye. It has the gold filligree decals that are in average condition. What is special about this machine over others is that my grandfather bought it for my grandmother the year my Mom was born. My Mom has the cabinet it was in originally, she has her 401 in it (that is why the 66 is in a 50s case, it got moved to a case when my Mom bought her 401. The 66 is like the straight stitchers of that day, no reverse, but you compensate by moving the stitch legnth to 0 for a few stitches.

It is not by any means my only vintage machines, I also have 2 Featherweights, 3 301s, and an 1886 Improved Family treadle in a drawing room cabinet. What would I do with 7 straignt stitchers you ask? Now, I do plan to sell at least 2 of the the 301s, but keep buying the vintage machines because I really love the history they represent. They are solid, they've lasted several generations and with a bit of care, will last several more. They do a great job at exactly what they were designed to do. The beautiful decals of the early machines are a plus - my treadle has color apple blossoms. Since you already have a 301, having the 66 Redeye would be more of an enjoyment thing rather than doing something unique for you.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM

If you will notice my avatar, I have a 1917 model 66 "Red-Eye" and I LOVE it! It's a treadle and works perfectly. It makes a beautiful straight stitch and I really think it would sew through leather if I needed it to. I have 2 modern machines, a 1949 Featherweight, and a 1962 Singer Touch and Sew in the original cabinet, and YES, I use all of them. It's amazing how much better those 3 vintage Singers sew compared to the modern ones.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:04 AM

Take someone out to eat and spend at least $25 -- enjoy the experience for a few hours. Buy a redeye and have something you can enjoy for a long time. If the enjoyment wears off, sell it and pass along the history to someone else.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 AM

We are waiting for winter to come and are restoring a red eye that had a motor added back to a treadle. I love sewing on them. Depends on what your passion is. Next to longarm quilting, ours is vintage machines.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 AM

If your Redeye is a treadle and the powers goes off and you do not have a generator. You will have something to do instead of just sitting around in the candle light. I love the look of the cabinet and is a great conversion piece. I have two though most likely getting rid of one that is a coffin table model. Beautiful but takes up room.