Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why would a pattern have one draw match points if it's all on 1/4" seam?

Blog Entries
    The pattern reads "Mark match points on wrong sides of each template patch.... using see-through acyrlic ruler, make cross hairs in corners by drawing a short line 1/4" from each raw edge..." Then of course one matches the points...

BUT--if I'm using an accurate seam allowance why would that step be necessary? I cringed when I read it, then skipped it and the blocks seems to be coming out okay... :wink: (well, except for the knot in the middle, which I have gotten help with :wink: ).

That confuses me too!
    No clue why it would say that.....
    If you are doing what you are doing and it is coming out fine, then I think all is well......GOT PICTURES??

Blog Entries
    Soon--soon... I want to post them when I have at least 8 done--I'm on #3. :wink:

I think it's just a way to assure that the points match. Many quilters have problems keeping an accurate " seam allowance and this method virtually guarantees it. Think about how often the question of non-matching points comes up here. This way would be a HUGE time burden, but very safe. I'd say the pattern maker just wants to guarantee success.

It's helpful with curved piecing, triangles (especially then they are not 45 degrees), and when you have inset corners or are sewing by hand.

You don't have to use them unless you want to, of course.

I agree with Cathe its just a way to match up your seams so they sew perfectly together.

This is used a lot when making clothes.
    Elle

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Is this for the octagon block? If it's anything like the construction of kaleidoscopes, if you leave the points on the triangles, you can use those to match your seams. I've never marked the cross points on the fabric.

I agree that it is just another step to insure accuracy. If all else is correct, it ishouldn't be necessary, but not everyone reads directions as well as you do! Most people skip steps and wonder why it didn't work out! :? My SIL looks at the pictures, she doesn't read, and she says she LOVES to sew! :?

The only time I mark is if it is a set in seam.

My thought was an inset seam, too.