Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why you do not wash fabrics before cutting? >

why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Default why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

Some of the reasons people wash their fabrics before cutting them have been listed many times in many threads.

For those that do not, what are your reasons for not doing so?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I live in an apt complex and it is $2.25 a load. I don't have time to press the fabric and I prefer to just starch my fabric before I cut it. I do realize that when using steam, the block does shirk a tiny bit but I usually compensate for that problem. I like the feel of new fabric. I don't worry about bleeders because of the invention of color catchers. I do occasionally pretest a small swatch of fabric to discover if it is a bleeder.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:21 AM

Because I'm too lazy to do all the added work and hate laundry. All my quilts are washed when completed always with a color catcher and I have never had a problem with bleeding (i use alot of whites) or shrinking.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:26 AM

Too lazy and hate to iron!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 AM

another lazy one here - and sometimes I just want to jump right in on a project and dont want to take the time. When I first started quilting I washed it, but after spending time here, realized it was just a personal choice. There are a few colors that I will at least give a good rinse in hot water to see if any color wants to bleed out
Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I'm not about to pass on to anyone a quilt that may cause an allergic reaction. Especially to babies much less with so many dirty hands having touched the fabric. I get other tasks accomplished while the laundering of the fabric is going on. I would rather wash before hand the yardage before cutting versus a large piece that may bleed or shrink. Everyone has their preference. Was told yesterday, I was a bit of a germaphobe. Oh well. Still going to prewash.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 AM

Un-neccessary step in my opinion. I've never had problems with unwashed fabric and usually wash before giving quilt away. I have limited time for my quilting and feel there are better ways to spend my time than prewashing. been quilting nearly 50 yrs, BTW.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 AM

I don't pre-wash pre-cuts. I'm too lazy to do the delicate work of trying to wash those babies without them fraying or distorting, so I just use them unwashed and cross my fingers when I toss it into the wash for the first time (with a wad of color catchers). So far I've been lucky, even when using batiks.

I also don't pre-wash things like canvas or random remnants I pick up for making tote bags - I consider those to be "utility" items so I don't really care if things run or shrink a bit as long as I can still drag my groceries around in it. I've also started a denim & fleece scrap quilt and I haven't been pre-washing either the denim or the fleece. It just didn't seem necessary. (Though a lot of the denim is from salvaged jeans, so very well pre-washed in that case, but some of it is new remnants which I have not been washing.)

I don't pre-wash wide backing fabric before stashing, either. I do pre-wash it just before I use it though, and I'm glad I do as I've had some pieces shrink quite a bit. (I wait to wash just before it'll be used so I don't have to FOLD the giant things!)

I wash most everything else, though, despite what a chore it is.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Ironing yards and yards of wrinkled fabric is not my idea of a good time. I prefer to save that energy for pressing seams ;-)
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 AM

I used to pre-wash my fabrics years ago, but don't anymore. I remember as a child, going into shops that sold fabric with my Mother and my eyes would burn and I hated the smell. It's not like that anymore. I love the feel of fabric right off the bolt, and I never pre- wash. I don't consider myself lazy, it's just one of those things I don't feel is necessary anymore.