Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wide backing

Blog Entries
    Can anyone recommend a site for reasonable priced 108 in. wide backing. Hade 6 yards of reg. width backing in my stash. Thought I was almost ready to pin. Just measured & I'm about 4 inches too narrow. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet & shop on line. Did I say how much I hate all our shipping costs or whatever it's called.

Blog Entries
    I like this site, they call theirs Fat Backs.
    http://www.christianlanequilters.com/home.html

This post has alot of stores listed with backing:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-144531-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I would use your fabric...what I do is sew two pieces together and then sew it into a tube. Than I have my husband hold it seam to seam and cut the side with no seam. Works great and looks good. It will then fit to width.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I would use your fabric...what I do is sew two pieces together and then sew it into a tube. Than I have my husband hold it seam to seam and cut the side with no seam. Works great and looks good. It will then fit to width.
    Wow, never heard of doing this. I will surly give this a try tomorrow. We usually meet on Tuesday to do pinning on the big tables. I was hoping to be able to pin then.
    A Big Thank You

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Oh my gosh I'm so excited, this has made my day. Just quickly pinned a scrap of fabric into a tube cut it in the centre. It worked first time for me. I have several tops waiting for $ to buy wide backing. I have several 3 yard pieces which were almost enough. Now I'll have lots.
    Thank you thank you

Good idea

when shopping on line- choose shops that offer free shipping when you only have to spend like $35---it is always easy to find $35 worth of stuff to buy-
    that way you are not wasting your $$ on postage- but getting every cent of your money's worth. there are lots of them out there- some free at $50---still not too bad- if you need a few things--- i can't always spend $50 but i can usually afford $35
    i hate spending what could buy 2+ more yards of fabric on shipping charges == especially when my purchase would fit in a $4.95 flat rate package....so before even looking at shops i check their shipping policies/charges. i do probably 75-80% of my fabric shopping on line- because of work hours i usually have to take an afternoon off in order to hit the lqs open- the lqs is owned by ladies who are (retired) all of their classes are during the day- during the work week- and they are only open 10-2 on saturdays---so i never get to take classes there- and really have to plan ahead to get in when they are open- but when i get the opportunity- i get there- i love the shop.

I piece my backs together. I like to use left over blocks or some sort of pattern so the back is just as pretty as the front.

Blog Entries
    Free shipping doesn't apply to Canada. We pay for shipping, then when it's delivered we pay another charge. Just forget what they call it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast