Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wide Ironing Board - Cheap cover

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    I didn't know there was such a thing as "ironing board fabric"! Thanks for telling me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pastimesquiltdesign
    I made my own from the ironing board fabric (sold at JoAnne's of course using a 40% off coupon)
    The Insul-brite is more of an insulated lining. IMO, you'd still need something over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Hmmmm, wonder if it would fit the wide ironing board I bought ? $10 is a great price!

Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    I bought a wide pad at walmart for my vintage ironing board and it is made well. it's reversable and has a storage pocket for starch bottles. It's got blue on one side and stripes on the other and was only $10
    I can measure mine if you'd like. I had to stretch it to fit mine but to me it was still easier then making it myself :) I'd rather spend my time on a quilt :)

SMR
    Jo Ann's has the silver heat resistant fabric like old ironing board covers used to be made out of.

QM
    I don't like the silver heat resistant board covers because you are more likely to be burned if you are doing fussy little things on them.

I have wanted a supersized ironing board for years, Last month, my DH came up with the solution. My large (plastic) folding table now has an ironing board cover I can put on it as needed. This is also the table I use for pin basting, so I did not want aything permanently attached. I took an oldish twin sized mattress pad, cut off the cheese clothy side panels and quilted it to a piece of garage sale uphostery canvas. I cut and finished the corners, then sewed all 4 sides with pockets to run cord through for fastening. It is not beautiful, but it is done and very useful.

You could make your own, here's a good tutorial. I covered mine in retro home deco fabric, it was super easy.

http://www.howdoesshe.com/iron-in-style

Don't quote me if I'm wrong but I thought that I saw at Target a wide ironing board cover and it is the nice silver one that reflects the heat so it irons faster...

dd
    I was just looking at my wide board from Walmart yesterday thinking, I need to replace the pad in this. Glad someone said insulbrite. I have that.
    I have the ironing pad to put on my cutting table but it's always wet when I take it off. Even if I don't use steam. Now I'm afraid I might ruin my table.

Quote Originally Posted by pastimesquiltdesign
    I made my own from the ironing board fabric (sold at JoAnne's of course using a 40% off coupon)
    Me too and I used Insulbrite for the padding. Quick and easy.

HINT - use the other top for as a pattern. And their foam for the batting.

Walmart carries replacment covers for around $12.
    They sell out fast though.

This is good to know. I have been looking for one but the one at Keepsake Quilting and Connecting Threads is over my budget. Thanks for the heads up.
    Sally

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast