Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me? >
  • Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me?

• Will Emily Post or the quilt police come after me?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I would NOT pre-wash a quilt because it will look like it had been USED! Yes, enclose washing instructions with a package of color catchers.
    The gift quilts I wash don't look used at all. I always pre shrink my batting and fabric for gift quilts. A little pressing and the quilt looks like it was just made. I pre shrink batting by spraying water to get it damp then but in dryer on high heat. This is what I do for quilts I enter in quilt shows.
    Old 04-27-2015, 05:01 AM

I always wash before gifting! I had one quilt really pucker up when I washed it, if I had given it unwashed, they would have thought they ruined it. As it was, I told them I was trying a new technique and asked if they liked the pucker look. She loved it!
    Old 04-27-2015, 05:06 AM

I wash all mine before gifting because color/dye is not the only issue that can come up. I like to make sure no seams come open and that the backing doesn't pull from the binding. (I've had both happen -- it was back when I first started making quilts but I always check now!)

And I can't say any recipient has ever thought that it has been used. I usually put in a note that says it has been washed and then instructions on how they can wash it again. Sometimes they are afraid to wash it the first time.

The only one I haven't washed had the train of a wedding dress appliqued down the middle, other appliques made out of the rest of the dress and wool batting. That one was truly an art piece, not really to be used or ever even washed so I never washed it. But that was a rare case for me!
    Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 AM
    Power Poster

I think that is a lovely and thoughtful idea. Go ahead and wash it one before you give it, and then put a note in with it to say that you want to make sure that it will not bleed.
    Old 04-27-2015, 08:21 AM

I tend to wash my quilts before I give them out to whomever but if I don't I would want to give one or more color catchers with instructions how to use them to the recipent. Hate to have them wash it and think they destroyed it due to color run.
    Old 04-27-2015, 08:52 AM

I always wash when done, goodness knows its been drug around, collected dust, starch, glue, oils from hands, and whatever else! I just have to know how it's gonna hold up to washing, colorwise, and seams. I do give the recipient instructions so they'll know how to wash it.
    Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 AM

I also think that's a wonderful idea. I've done that with a card saying I washed it and used these color catchers. Everyone seems to appreciate it.
    Old 04-27-2015, 06:23 PM
    Power Poster

sounds like a nice idea to me. very considerate, and makes sure that the quilt will be around for a long time.
    Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by SandyG
    I just finished a BOM quilt for a wedding gift. Since it was a BOM, the fabric was not pre washed, because each month I only got small pieces of fabric. Is it okay to give a box of color catchers in with the gift or will 'they' come after me? Have any of you given color catchers with a quilt?
    I washed some material (red with gold metallic stripes) with a color catcher), and it still bled. You might want to wash with your color catchers just to be safe. I think I would.
    Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 AM

I always give a box of Color Catchers with my Quilts. I even explain out how to use them. LOL