Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will I need a stitch reguilator >

Will I need a stitch reguilator

Will I need a stitch reguilator

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM

I am ready to purchase a little gracie frame. I have a new Saphire 835 sewing machine, will I need a stitach regulator for this frame/set up? Thanks for all your help
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

I sewed for a year with my Juki and a Grace frame and did just fine. I did buy a stitch regulator this year and love it, but you can quilt without one. Just practice.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM

you don't need a stitch regulator but some people do like them and enjoy them.

if you don't get one you should at least get a speed control that way you can work the machine without the foot pedal.

i have a stitch regulator and i'm so glad that i do, for me, it was worth the money
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Yup! You better get one!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM

You don't need a stitch regulator but it will make the learning curve easier unless you just happen to be a natural.

I started without one and used my foot controller to control the speed. I taped it to the handles and just pretended it was a motorcycle--slow down in the curves--speed up in the straight aways--and I did all right. I tried just setting the speed & using my start/stop button but I did much better squeezing the foot controller.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
You don't need a stitch regulator but it will make the learning curve easier unless you just happen to be a natural.

I started without one and used my foot controller to control the speed. I taped it to the handles and just pretended it was a motorcycle--slow down in the curves--speed up in the straight aways--and I did all right. I tried just setting the speed & using my start/stop button but I did much better squeezing the foot controller.
That's great! Did you wear your "leathers" and helmet while quilting? :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by BKrenning

That's great! Did you wear your "leathers" and helmet while quilting? :thumbup:
Only when I tried hand-quilting. That was a train wreck--LOL!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 AM

Ok.....do I buy that from the sewing machine dealer? I would assume that...but when you are new...you are new!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 AM

I have a Little Gracie II and it sat for over 3 yrs, I just couldnt get the hang of it. I got frustrated and gave up. Then I read about the stitch reg, purchased it and I love it. I wish I would have had it from the beginning. I got it from kathysquilts, love them, nice to work with. My husband got me the frame and sewing machine online. I wish he would have purchased it from a local dealer. Any problems, questions, or even hands on help would have helped me at the beginning. You cant do that with a purchase online for a sewing machine.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Some sewing machine dealers may act as a middle man or distributor for the cruise control and any that sell the Grace brand frames should be able to at least get you more information on the Grace speed controllers & stitch regulators or you can contact Grace directly. http://www.graceframe.com/site/machineaccessories