Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will this be a mistake?

I just now discovered that the fabric I bought to put on the back of two quilts is 65% polyester and 35% cotton. I thought the fabric was 100% cotton.

I intend to put these two quilts on two beds in my home. Should I abandon this fabric and go buy 100% cotton?

Blog Entries
    You would be okay if you have prewashed everything. I have never used a cotton/poly, but I now that you can.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I use poly/cotton all the time mixed with cottons and haven't had any problems. You should be alright using it. No quilt police here!

Power Poster
    I have cotton/poly sheets on my bed.

There is a difference in them - so are wonderful - some get pilled and scratchy.

If the fabric feels and looks nice, go ahead and use it - after washing it, of course.

Ditto to CJOmomma.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Your avatar cracks me up!! Just like my cats!! Magnets to quilts hahaha

Yes, Susan, I can't do any sewing without "cat help." I realize having cats in the sewing room isn't probably a good idea...but where I go, my cats go. :)

Thanks, ladies, for the quick responses to my question. Since I didn't prewash the tops that I pieced, I have decided the best thing to do is to go buy new fabric for the backing of these two quilts. The quilts are for twin beds, and I don't think I am going to have the patience to ever make two quilts the same again, so I want these done well enough that I won't be upset when I wash them.

I will just head to Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon, check out Wal-Mart, and glide by Hancock's. Surely I can find some thing that I am pleased with.

Blog Entries
    have fun shopping for your fabric

I would get cotton for the backing if it was me.

Dina, there are lots of quilts with mixed fabrics so it's completely up to you.

I did this though with one of my early quilts, and found that the quilt behaves quite differently than all cotton - it's hot hot hot - doesn't breathe the same at all for warmer weather, but it also doesn't keep you warm in the winter.

For me it would depend on how it's going to be used - lots of charity quilts have tons of mixed fibers, going to the homeless or out with trauma / emergency workers; the poly adds some good sturdiness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast