Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Will Switching Type of Thread Damage My Top?

  1. #1
    Junior Member J.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Blog Entries
    2
    Another question from me, I've been asking a lot here lately. But you all know so much :-D

    Anyway, the actual question is about the thread type I'm using to hand-piece a quilt top. I've been using 100 % cotton thread and have pieced about half my blocks with that. Unfortunately, I'm about to run out of thread. I do, however, have some polyester (or maybe it's a mix of polyester and cotton, I'm not entirely sure) thread I could use. Will this matter when I piece all the blocks together? Like make the top 'pull' in some places or otherwise look 'off'? Or can I just switch without consequences?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M.
    Another question from me, I've been asking a lot here lately. But you all know so much :-D

    Anyway, the actual question is about the thread type I'm using to hand-piece a quilt top. I've been using 100 % cotton thread and have pieced about half my blocks with that. Unfortunately, I'm about to run out of thread. I do, however, have some polyester (or maybe it's a mix of polyester and cotton, I'm not entirely sure) thread I could use. Will this matter when I piece all the blocks together? Like make the top 'pull' in some places or otherwise look 'off'? Or can I just switch without consequences?
    If the thread shrinks at different rates when washed, there may be a difference, but probably not too much.

  3. #3
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,964
    I don't think there will be a problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member J.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M.
    Another question from me, I've been asking a lot here lately. But you all know so much :-D

    Anyway, the actual question is about the thread type I'm using to hand-piece a quilt top. I've been using 100 % cotton thread and have pieced about half my blocks with that. Unfortunately, I'm about to run out of thread. I do, however, have some polyester (or maybe it's a mix of polyester and cotton, I'm not entirely sure) thread I could use. Will this matter when I piece all the blocks together? Like make the top 'pull' in some places or otherwise look 'off'? Or can I just switch without consequences?
    If the thread shrinks at different rates when washed, there may be a difference, but probably not too much.
    Is there a way to test that? I know you can test bleeding and shrinking of fabrics by putting a bit of the fabric in hot water and letting it soak for awhile, then letting it dry. Could you test the shrinking of thread in the same way?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M.
    Is there a way to test that? I know you can test bleeding and shrinking of fabrics by putting a bit of the fabric in hot water and letting it soak for awhile, then letting it dry. Could you test the shrinking of thread in the same way?
    I don't think so, but go ahead an go for it. I've mixed cotton an metallic thread in the same quilt without any problems.

  6. #6
    Junior Member J.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks! I'm just going to try and see :)

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,017
    i don';t know any reason why it would give you a problem. I do it all the time.

  8. #8
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,397
    i've been sewing/quilting for many years now...i've used what ever thread is right there...over and over, if the color is ok...and it is not breaking constantly i use it, i do not pay any attention to what the last spool i emptied was i just start again with the next one...i've never had a problem with different threads in a project...i've only had problems with some threads breaking alot in my machine and problems with invisible threads...which i hate using...beyond that i don't (sweat the small stuff)
    i do tend to do my hand applique and piecing with silk thread but that is just a personal choice, i just love hand work with silk thread, it is so smooth and easy to use....but if i run out and have to use cotton, or rayon or polyester i don't worry about it....too many other things in life to worry about -- ;)

  9. #9
    Senior Member NDQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    327
    Blog Entries
    13
    I'll admit that I am not on the 100% cotton bandwagon. I just use whatever I have on hand regardless of content and have not had a problem.

  10. #10
    Super Member quiltmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In Hiding
    Posts
    1,229
    Well, I'm the oddball here as I would follow through with what I was using on a particular quilt. I would be concerned that there would be a difference in the long term with the different threads on a much loved/used washed quilt. However that said, obviously from the comments already made people do it all the time without any problems.
    It looks to be more personal preferences and what people are comfortable using....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.