Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me? >

Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM

My friend and I both bought Mid Arms separately and were very disappointed, especially with throat size. When a local quilt shop closed, we had the opportunity (& jumped right in) to split the cost of a HQ Avante 18. LOVE IT !!!! oh and it has Pro Stitcher computer. We can edge to edge or custom quilt. Goal is to quilt enough quilts, maybe 4 - 5 a month to make payment. But as usual, a longer throat size is always nicer. This block was done in 2 rows. Larger throat .. maybe one row ?
Attached Thumbnails np-block.jpeg  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

I don't have time right now to read all the other responses, so hope I am not repeating.

First off, if you loved being able to move the machine, my advice is to get that kind of setup rather than a sitdown machine. If it's fun the first time you move the machine, it's going to continue to be fun for a very long time. If the sitdown machine is simply easier than stuffing a quilt down the throat of your domestic machine, it will be nicer than what you have but will not be that much ***fun***. Quilters who love the sitdown machine tend to not have fun moving the machine; for them, the sitdown machine is a good choice.

I have seen very good comments about the Block Rockit on other groups (I think Yahoo's homequiltingsystems and one or two others).

I would *not* recommend getting the Mega Quilter setup if it has a 9" throat. You will very soon (say, after two or three quilts) become frustrated with the harp limitation. It's worth investing more up front in something that will satisfy you for many years. For that you really need a larger harp space.

My Voyager 17/Hinterberg stretch frame setup runs $3,000 or less used. You might want to check the internet listings for used machines, Craigslist, your local quilt guild ads, etc. until you find one. I got mine from a quilt guild member who was upgrading.

If your budget could stand it, you might also want to look at an Innova. Their budget version runs about $8,000 and would retain very good resale value if you ever want to upgrade.

I have my quilt frame setup in our large windowless "mechanical room" that doubles as a storage area. I actually enjoy it in there. I take a glass of wine down there, turn on the radio and the bright lights (very cheerful), and quilt to my heart's content.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 PM

I have a HQ16 (not a Sweet 16) that I bought used. It originally came with a table, then was converted to work on a frame, which is how I use it. I have a pcquilter that came with it, so the HQ16 is moved on the quilt based on a computerized pattern via the pcquilter, so I don't use the handles with it. (I could if I wanted to do free motion quilting.) I have fibromyalgia and arthritis, so even with the pcquilter doing all the quilting work for me, I do find that standing at the frame gets challenging at times. But since I have fibro and arthritis, there is no way that I can push a quilt around on a sit down machine.

May I suggest that you ask Handiquilter if the Sweet 16 can be converted for use on a frame?

I've never used a machine with a 9" throat. Even so, I don't recommend a 9" throat as I don't think it will make it that much easier to quilt, whether on a sit down table or on a frame.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 AM

I am in the same boat as the OP. I would love a larger throat machine, but the budget just does not allow for anything close to the cost of a HQ anything !

I currently have a Brother PQ1500 that I LOVE. I have quilted a Queen size on it at my table, but it was a test of will. I have had it on a Grace frame in the past. I HATED this. Small throat space on a frame = very limited design space.

The other problem I ran into was endurance. Standing up at the frame is not the same as standing up at a cutting table ! Your not just standing ! You are walking the length of your quilt , AND moving the machine at the same time. This takes practice ! It also takes alot of energy and unless your in fantastic physical shape ( which I am not ) your body is going to hate you.

While having a frame means you no longer have to baste your quilt, it DOES mean you need to load everything onto your frame. I think quilt shows should have demos set up so that you can see what is involved in THAT part of frame quilting, but I have a feeling it might lower their sales ! It is not easy ! Yes, there are zippers and other leader options that make it easier, but it still takes alot of work to load a large quilt by yourself and keep everything very straight.

A frame is going to take up space. ALOT of space ! Personally, if I had to keep my frame in the basement, and the rest of my sewing things were in another room, my frame would not see me much !

I have looked at the Block Rockit, but it is not available on a table, only the frame. I have also looked at the Bailey, and while they have a longer throat space, it does not have a high throat space, and when you are bunching a quilt at a table, that means less space for it to squish into. The Sunshine 16 has perked my interest though.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:35 AM

I have an HQ Avante and love that machine... I too had test driven several makes and models but kept coming back to the Avante - all around great machine. I saved up my $$$ and that is the machine that I purchased. I am now considering the purchase of ProStitcher for my Avante. It is a wonderful machine. Good Luck!!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 AM

You cannot beat a longarm........especially since you have had the " taste" of one.........check out house of Hanson, websites of mfgrs for used machines. A friend just bought from Nolting a 10' professional longarm......no stitch regulator, but you can really live without it....for a very reasonable price...was delivered, assembled and a lesson right there with any other help available whenever she might need it. She loves it.......has joined a local L/A group for support/ideas.......I, myself have had an APQS for 15+ yrs. and it was used when I purchased it. No problem I couldn't take care of myself, but do take head to mfgr every 3/4 yrs for a spa day......just take your time in your decision
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM

I felt just the opposite. Fell in love with the Sweet Sixteen and after a 3 hour lesson on a standup I hated moving the handles. It was just so mechanical, not textile handling. Standing up all that time just killed my knees. Also, I had no where to put a monster frame, and finally, the cost of standups is WAY more than that of the sitdowns. All the ones I've seen cost as much as a good car. And I never baste when I quilt on my Sweetie. Sometimes I spray baste, but mostly I just spread the layers out, smoothing both sides and put in a few pins in the center and at the corners. You just roll the edges in on a large quilt, work in a puddle, and smooth it out as you go.

Most important is to do what your gut, heart, feelings tell you. Maybe take a class first, and see how you like standing up for hours at a time, to be sure, but everyone is different.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Which Viking Mega Quilter is it? They called both the 9" and the 18" the same thing (just to confuse us). The 18" version is made by Tin Lizzie and is identical the TinLizzie 18 LS. If it is the 9" version, you will probably need to remove a queen size quilt half way through and turn it as there won't be enough room in the harp to accommodate the entire rolled up quilt (depends on the batting). Also, you will only have about 4" of actual quilting room towards the end. As to do this, I would rather quilt as you go in sections on my domestic machine.
To answer your other question, I found it a whole lot more intuitive o move the machine.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Hi Jackie, I have to say that I made the mistake of buying a viking mega quilter with the the 9 inch throat and hated it on the frame. I love the viking for piecing but it was a pain trying to quilt with such a small throated machine. I ended up buying a used 18 fun quilter and a summit frame to actually be able to quilt a normal sized quilt.The viking can only quilt about a 4 inch area after you start rolling all the layers on the take up roller. I still have the viking and it's frame but use it for plain sewing or piecing . It was a costly mistake for me as then I spent more money than I would have if I just bought the funquilter to begin with. Just my 2 cents worth. Anna
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Granted there are pros and cons for both methods of machine quilting. But, if you have the room for the frame, I think the smallest is 10ft, and a machine that is specifically built for easy manuverability(sp), that is lightweight, and able to obtain the spm..stitches per minute....without ruining the motor....not just a sewing machine put on a sled with handles attached....you have the versatility of either fm or following a ready made pattern( panto). I have my work area divided into two parts....my sewing-piecing and strictly L/A...so if I get tired or no inspiration when L/A, I walk to other end, turn on DSM and work on whatever is there.......just how I like my world. Btw the friend who has the 10ft frame Nolting just moved from house with basement "studio" to single wide mobile and I helped her reset her machine in one of the three bdrms...and she has room to walk completely around the frame......just an FYI