Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me? >

Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:02 PM

So, I'm also very interested in getting a long arm. This has been a great discussion! But I have a couple additional questions.
1) How much of a machine's throat space is actually useable quilting space? I've been looking at one called A-1, and their specs say the throat is 22" with a quilting space is 17". Is it determined by how big your quilt is and how much is rolled on the bar?
2) The same company has a hydraulic lift table, which they brag on a lot. How often would you move the table. The table is just where the pantos go, right? If you're not using panto, do you use the table at all?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 PM

I remember the 1st time I seen a computerized long arm machine, it was set up at my repair lady's store. One of the sales women showed me briefly how easy it was done, then we went on to the business I was there for when I checked out my husband came almost running up to me....Momma (what he calls me) come look at what I did lol He wrote Hot Tapper thats what his profession is. I know those ladies were sure glad when I drug him out of there lol, good memory.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 PM

I agree with #40 .. .But'' I can do a extra lg king in that 9'' harp with the sit down table pretty easy I pin baste instead of spay basting spray makes the quit to hard and stiff . DottieBug
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
So, I'm also very interested in getting a long arm. This has been a great discussion! But I have a couple additional questions.
1) How much of a machine's throat space is actually useable quilting space? I've been looking at one called A-1, and their specs say the throat is 22" with a quilting space is 17". Is it determined by how big your quilt is and how much is rolled on the bar?
2) The same company has a hydraulic lift table, which they brag on a lot. How often would you move the table. The table is just where the pantos go, right? If you're not using panto, do you use the table at all?
Cathy, I have an A-1, and it is wonderful. The table is used for pantographs, but it is part of the frame so you get it with the system. The hydraulic legs are a must-have! It is standard on their machines. I cannot tell you how often I use them. Just an inch up or down can change the way you stand and help keep you from getting tired, and therefore able to quilt longer. Plus, you can move it up to stand and quilt, and then down to sit and quilt.

The quilting space is 17-18 inches at the start of quilting because the take up bar goes through the throat space. As you quilt, and roll more of the quilt onto the take up bar, the space will decrease, but not by more than a couple inches on a king size quilt. It also has a wheel that move the take up bar upwards so the bulk of the quilt remains above the quilting plane - keeping the quilting uniform and even and taking pressure off the throat. The A-1 is MUCH lighter in weight than a Gammill, and thus can be used for longer periods of time without fatigue, plus it is just easier to move around. PM me if you have more questions, I'm happy to answer what I can.