Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Window Quilts

I saw an article about these in DIY. I think I would like these in my bedroom. But I didn't really understand the article. Could someone do a lesson on them? Not video, my computer can't seem to handle those but maybe with pictures.

I'm probably asking to much. But if you know of anything I'd appreciate any information.

Blog Entries
    I did a demo of these at an energy fair, which promted the sewing workshops that I now do twice a month. Basically, picture a narrow board on the top of the window casing, with 2 strips hanging down around a rolled up piece of quilted fabric. On the ends of these strips are pieces of velcro. when rolled up, these strips hold the fabric. when fabric is rolled own, you can use 2 strips of wood (sorta like strapping) with spring loaded hinges to hold the window quilt tight agaist the wall. Also, if you make a narrow pocket at the bottm, you slide a thin piece of wood in there to help weight it own. If you have any questions , PM me, as I am leaving for work.

sorry

i don't know exactly which kind you mean, but k3n made window quilts to keep the cold out of her freezing cold french farmhouse. i can't find the post, but if you pm her, she probably can help you out. she has pictures on the post.

also i looked up: "window quilts how to make"

and came up with a huge list.

Quote Originally Posted by quazyquilter
    I did a demo of these at an energy fair, which promted the sewing workshops that I now do twice a month. Basically, picture a narrow board on the top of the window casing, with 2 strips hanging down around a rolled up piece of quilted fabric. On the ends of these strips are pieces of velcro. when rolled up, these strips hold the fabric. when fabric is rolled own, you can use 2 strips of wood (sorta like strapping) with spring loaded hinges to hold the window quilt tight agaist the wall. Also, if you make a narrow pocket at the bottm, you slide a thin piece of wood in there to help weight it own. If you have any questions , PM me, as I am leaving for work.
    would love to see some pics

I would love to make some for the sliders in my kitchen - Have them on two different walls in the kitchen and the drapes I bought for winter only are ugly!!!

I would imagine that they are just decorative insulated window coverings similar to roman blinds only made of quilted material. It sounds like a good way to have more room to display your quilting art and be useful in saving energy.

Thanks for the tips. I am awful at googling. I think I need to look up how to do roman blinds next. But I feel I am getting closer.