Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to >

And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM

Default And The Winner of the Dumb Question of the Week goes to

me. I was always floundering around looking for the bobbin filled with thread to go with the spool of the same color so when I saw the "Handi-Bobs" I thought they would be the answer.

Presently I have five or six bobbins wound with the color of thread that I use most often for piecing and quilting. The bobbins are in those round plastic doughnut like holders. The system I have works, but I am always on the lookout for anything that makes organization easier.

My question is: How is the quilting world do you use the Handi-Bobs? Okay the bobbin fits nice and snug in the cup with the white tube pointing down; but how do you attach it to the spool with the matching thread? There is play in the product which to me means that you can use it on different size spools. I primarily use the big cones or the large spools from Connecting Threads. Then I have the regular spools that we are all use to from the "olden days." Then I have some old spools, cones with openings on one end about the size of a dime.

I'd appreciate any help in using these gizmos. If you ask "Did you save the packaging?" No, how smart would that have been? Usually I do keep the cardboard backing from all of my quilting gadgets, but not in this case. Thanks to all, who after a good laugh, can straighten me out.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I don't have those so have no idea how they work. I keep all my bobbins in the round do nut things. That works the best for me, sometimes I have to hold it upside down and give it a haircut. LOL.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I like the bobbin tunnel a lot better than the bobbin doughnut.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:15 AM

I have a bobbin case. It is just like my thread cases but in miniature. It is clear plastic and has a hinged lid that snaps closed. Holds 20 bobbins I think and it is easier for these arthritic fingers to pick up a bobbin than trying to pry one from the bobbin tunnel thingie. I also 'invested' in a package of little knitted hair elastics from the Dollar store and use them to keep my bobbins from shedding thread.

Just Googled Hanid-bob and Amazon had this set of instructions. Hope this helps.

3 Ct. Plastic bob easily inserts into spool of thread to hold a bobbin with matching thread. Instructions: 1.Push Handi-Bob into spool like a thumbtack. Loop end of thread on nearest thread trap(if spool has enlarged hole - push Handi-Bob through a scrap of paper napkin or like material for snug fit. 2. Bobbin snaps into place - tilts for removal. Handi-Bobs adjust themselves to your bobbins. Do not use thread trap for bobbin thread - simply rotate bobbin in place to wind loose end inside (for faster bobbin removal.) 3. Handi-Bob fits over all machine spindles - no need to remove from spool while sewing. 4. To remove Handi-Bob from EMPTY spool for re-use, TWIST and pull.

Last edited by GingerK; 09-30-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have a bobbin case. It is just like my thread cases but in miniature. It is clear plastic and has a hinged lid that snaps closed. Holds 20 bobbins I think and it is easier for these arthritic fingers to pick up a bobbin than trying to pry one from the bobbin tunnel thingie. I also 'invested' in a package of little knitted hair elastics from the Dollar store and use them to keep my bobbins from shedding thread.

Just Googled Hanid-bob and Amazon had this set of instructions. Hope this helps.

3 Ct. Plastic bob easily inserts into spool of thread to hold a bobbin with matching thread. Instructions: 1.Push Handi-Bob into spool like a thumbtack. Loop end of thread on nearest thread trap(if spool has enlarged hole - push Handi-Bob through a scrap of paper napkin or like material for snug fit. 2. Bobbin snaps into place - tilts for removal. Handi-Bobs adjust themselves to your bobbins. Do not use thread trap for bobbin thread - simply rotate bobbin in place to wind loose end inside (for faster bobbin removal.) 3. Handi-Bob fits over all machine spindles - no need to remove from spool while sewing. 4. To remove Handi-Bob from EMPTY spool for re-use, TWIST and pull.
Thank you so very much. This just might save what is left of my sanity. I have the doughnut holders and really like them for storage, but matching the colors seemed to be a waste of time that could be put to use piecing, cutting, etc. Also have the plastic storage cases for the bobbins that go with my other machine.

So, your research has made me a happy quilter and I thank you very much.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't have those so have no idea how they work. I keep all my bobbins in the round do nut things. That works the best for me, sometimes I have to hold it upside down and give it a haircut. LOL.
Yup, me too. Funny how when you want to find the end of the thread it is elusive, but while they are in the drawer the ends come loose. Must be those quilting elves.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I like the bobbin tunnel a lot better than the bobbin doughnut.
Okay, I'm a sucker for gadgets. What is a bobbin tunnel? Also with all of the wonderful inventions that keep appearing on the market for quilters why can't I think of something original, make thousands of dollars and buy fabric?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I am not a sucker for gadgets. I have my bobbins stored on 2 oak wooden holders with a magnet running down the center. YIKES, they are listed as Vintage!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Vint...Ch1O9QFa&dpr=1
Old 09-30-2015, 10:37 AM

Since I have more than one sewing machine, I use those silicone like round bobbin holders. I can get them at my LQS with a discount coupon. Nancy's Notions call them BobbinSavers. They don't break like plastic bobbin holders. In fact they can bounce a tiny bit. My bobbins are all plastic and each machine has a different size. I mark with a sharpie which machine the bobbins are for. I have one just for the embroidery bobbins to keep them separate from my sewing bobbins.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 AM

My thread spools are stored in plastic boxes (shoebox size) and I throw the bobbins in with the appropriate color. I also have a rubber donut bobbin holder near my machine for the commonly used colors.