Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about my cutting board.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi everyone! I have read a lot about which rotary cutters are best etc. I just bought a new one with an extra blade. The first blade became dull quite soon. Now the second one is dull too.

I am wondering if cutting mats make a difference. I never thought about it until now. Would really like to know.

Also, we have discussed sore backs. I was cutting several strips today and after a few hours my back started to kill me. I have a nice high table. It then occurred to me that when I was a beautician many, many moons ago in the 70s, we were taught to bring our hips forward and to bend one knee slightly. I started doing that and it took the strain off my back immediately. I hope this will help others. It was amazing.

Blog Entries
    If you were cutting for hours, then it is no wonder that the blade is dull. lol

Make sure that you keep your blade straight up and down so that it is not rubbing wrong on the ruler. That will help.

I changed my cutting mat because it seemed to make my blades dull. It really did make a difference to me.

Also, blade choice is a key factor.

Blog Entries
    Mats do make a difference in how long a blade stays sharp. I'm pretty sure Olfa is one of the better brands.

Great tip about standing for long periods

Blog Entries
    I use different brand of cutting mats. I have every surface in my sewing room covered by a mat. Olfa, Fiskars, Polar, June Taylor, Martelli, Fons and Porter which I think is Olfa. I found the self healing mats seem to dull the blade faster then the hard surface mats. I like June Taylor and the best one and the most expensive mat is the Martelli brand. They last much longer and saves money over time. It is the mat I have used the longest.

Banned
    what brand of mat and cutters are you using. difficult to give an imformed opinion without knowing this.

I use a Martelli mat and cutter and have not changed a blade in over a year.

Blog Entries
    part of your back problem could be your nice high table. try using a lower table. made a world of difference for me.i'm not hunching up anymore but using my whole arm and shoulder. if you notice, the tables they use at joanns are lower than the cutting tables they sell.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My cutting board is made by Fiskars. It is 24 x 36 pink on one side and yellow on the other. Have had it for approx. 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast