Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: wonky block

wonky block

Hi everybody... I'm making a 'scrappy' quilt using up a bunch of crumbs and I've made 6" blocks. I've bordered them in 3" solid colors now I want them to be wonky and I can not for the life of me figure out how you guys do that and yet still have a square block. I've been trying to figure this out all darn day and I'm about to just trash this whole project, but I've got so much time into it already. Sooo can someone PLEASE walk me through how to do this or if there is a youtube for it point me in the right direction.. thanks so much

Joyce
    Don't do to others what you do NOT want done to yourself

Banned
    exactly what do you mean by "wonky" it can have several meanings. what look do you want. difficult without seeing the blocks. are they all the same or different patterns, you say scrappy. strips or precise pattern etc in the 6" blocks

Power Poster
    I am sure the math wizards have some nifty way to do it but I do mine the easy way. It wastes a little fabric but saves some brain cells. I sew 3 inch strips to all sides of my center block. I lay my square ruler on top but turn it to get the wonky angle and trim.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Last edited by Tartan; 03-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have done some 'wonky' blocks. I used Bonnie Hunters tip from quitville.com Happy Scrappy Houses ~ http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...py-houses.html ~ about half way down.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    A picture worth a thousand words, Tartan. Perfect explanation.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/04/...arm-quilt.html just a way of doing them.
    you can do this with a square block though, just put your ruler tilted and make sure you have 1/4 seam or more all the way around. cut, turn cut and you have a wonky block. have fun.

I do the same as Tartan

Ditto for Tartan's method.

Banned
    but the 6" blocks are already made. If we could see what has been done then it will be easier to give suggestions. It appears they are not wonky now. So, what needs to be done to make them wonky.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have seen patterns that take a block already made, stack it on top of the others, then use a rotary cutter and ruler to slash them, usually three slashes at varying slants. I know there are quilt designers out there that have books on doing this, there may be patterns too. One name that comes to mind is M'liss Rae Hawley does this, I think!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast