Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonky bobbin tension in my 440 >

Wonky bobbin tension in my 440

Wonky bobbin tension in my 440

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Wonky bobbin tension in my 440

It has been almost a year since my Berenina had her last clean & tune up but I was hoping to go just a pinch longer. Today she started having loose understitches. I cleaned the bobbin case, oiled her, changed the needle & rethreaded her...any other suggestions to help her along? Luckily I have a 330 as a stand by but I just love that 440 and hate to use anything else.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Usually loose thread pulled to the back is the top tension but you've already re- threaded. If that isn't it, have you changed the tension on the bobbin case lately? Try changing the bobbin tension after noting the screw slit position and see if that helps. The next one sounds silly but I have done it so...we're you FMQing with the foot up? If the foot is up, there is no tension on your top thread.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

That sounds like a problem with the top tension. Top tension is not tight enough to draw bobbin thread to middle of fabric. If you have some *unwaxed* dental floss, you can floss your upper tension between the discs to get rid of any lint or thread piece that might be interfering with tension. Also, try increasing your upper tension.

For the bobbin case (assuming you have a removable bobbin case), you can take a pin and *gently* sweep with the pin underneath the tensioning piece. Sometimes lint accumulates there, and the pin will remove it. Although the following tension video was created for longarms, the same principles apply to domestic machines, and he shows the pin thing with the bobbin case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRh...664A7&index=13

Also, did you remove the needle plate and clean any lint out from under that?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 AM

Make sure the feed dogs are engaged and the pressure foot pressure is set at approx. 47. Re-thread the top and the bobbin - in fact, switch the bobbin thread to another one just to try. Also try a different piece of fabric. If all that doesn't help plus the other suggestions above, then it just might be time for a 'spa' treatment for you 440. Mine just had one as her Christmas gift from me! She sews like a champ now.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM

She is back running great. I turned her off & gave her a rest & she reset herself....isn't she smart? Seriously tho I was sewing over many layers making totes, and after the part where I was putting the handles, lining & top together she balked a bit. I forgot that sometimes just turning off the computer & turning it back on gives it a reboot. Thanks for your help!