Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wool appliqué question

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar

Wool appliqué question

I am wanting to start doing some felted wool appliqué. My question is do you do a regular appliqué stitch before you do the fancy blanket stitch, or is the blanket stitch sufficient to hold the appliqué piece?

Do you have any other hints for felted wool appliqué that I should know? I have purchased several wool jackets, skirts, etc. at Goodwill and I have felted them. I am ready to start doing some appliqué!

Thanks for your help!

I usually use some sort of wunder under and then do the blanket stitch
    have fun

I have trouble with my blanket stitch getting twisted and looking terrible after it's been washed, it holds well, just doesn't look good.

i've never used any type of fusable on my wool projects- i just pin where i need to hold the pieces - or hold them in place with my fingers- generally i just do a blanket stitch- my big wool appliqued (backyard gathering) quilt has been washed a few times- it has not suffered any adverse effects from using a blanket stitch
    Name:  backyard gathering.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  857.6 KB
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I just pin the applique on, but I pin from the underneath side so the thread doesn't get as tangle around the pins.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i've never used any type of fusable on my wool projects- i just pin where i need to hold the pieces - or hold them in place with my fingers- generally i just do a blanket stitch- my big wool appliqued (backyard gathering) quilt has been washed a few times- it has not suffered any adverse effects from using a blanket stitch
    Name:  backyard gathering.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  857.6 KB
    What thread and needle do you use? three strands of DMC? Not sure how to start. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!
    Linda

I did some Candlemas and a mantle scarf. I used freezer paper for my patterns but then just pinned them on and used pearl cotton to stitch (blanket stitch). Also, to ckcowl:your quilt is beautiful!
    Celia

i prefer Perle Cotton for wool applique- i do have some wool flosses which i also use if the color is right- the wool floss is not shiny like the perle cotton- i have about 100 colors in perle cottons- and 3 different weights and very much like working with it. as for needles- i use a size 22 chenille -often- at times i do use a different size- but generally chenille needles- they have a sharp point- good length for working with thicker fabrics & a large eye to make threading the thicker flosses/threads easy.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i prefer Perle Cotton for wool applique- i do have some wool flosses which i also use if the color is right- the wool floss is not shiny like the perle cotton- i have about 100 colors in perle cottons- and 3 different weights and very much like working with it. as for needles- i use a size 22 chenille -often- at times i do use a different size- but generally chenille needles- they have a sharp point- good length for working with thicker fabrics & a large eye to make threading the thicker flosses/threads easy.
    Thank you ckcowl! Great info for a beginner.
    Linda

I use Wonder Under to fuse the pieces down, then use a Buttonhole stitch with #12 Perle cotton (I use Presencia brand) and a sharp needle with an eye large enough to thread the Perle cotton through. If the design requires embroidery stitches, I will sometimes use floss for that. Felted wool will not ravel, so the Wonder Under is not necessary to prevent raveling, but I do like the extra stability it adds. I don't use knots, but weave all ends into the stitches on the back. I also add an extra layer of wool to the back of the project, so as to hide all stitches and add stability.

To prevent "rolling" of the stitches, I lock down every third stitch with a tiny backstitch in the background wool. Works like a charm.

I don't wash my projects, but then I've only done small candle mats. If I ever did decide to wash something, I would do it by hand with no agitation so that the stitches wouldn't get messed up. And, I would never put it in the dryer!!!

ckcowl, that is a wonderful quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast