Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool applique on quilt >

Wool applique on quilt

Wool applique on quilt

Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Default Wool applique on quilt

Hi! I have been reading this board for a couple of years but have never posted. Thought it was about time. (ha ha) I have learned so much from all you talented people- thank you! Anyway, I am making a cotton quilt but plan to applique felted wool on it. I wondered how it would be to wash when finished. Do you think it would wash up ok or would the wool applique shrink different from the cotton?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board
If the wool were already washed (felted) it should not shrink any more. I make knit felted items, and you can wash them, but they have to be reblocked every time, so I'm not sure how mixing the fabrics would work in a quilt that will be laundered.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 AM

I think it should be ok, but be sure to wash (felt) the wool before you use it. Wash it hot water and dry in the dryer. The wool can then be washed again and again and it won't shrink any further. It would probably be a good idea to wash the cotton fabric before using it also.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Ok, thanks! I will make sure I wash the wool and the fabric first. I have never washed felted wool I've bought because so far I have just made wall hangings or Christmas decorations with it, but now I am getting brave and trying a quilt with it. ( just lap size)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

the pictures of the 'backyard gathering' quilt I have here on the board are of a wool appliqued quilt- background is flannel- backing is flannel- batting is hobbs heirloom 80/20... it has been washed 3 or 4 times by the time the pictures were taken. I put it in a regular wash- with detergent- tumble dry it in my dryer- regular cycle- never had a problem...the white 'Connecticut quilts' I have posted the appliques are on white (bleached muslin) ...those also had been laundered before photo's....the wools have already done what they are going to do if you have felted them- wool quilts launder beautifully.