Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Applique >

Wool Applique

Wool Applique

Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM

Default Wool Applique

I have always wanted to try wool applique and now is a good as a time as any! Anyone have any tips or tricks that would help?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 AM

I have just started doing wool applique and have found it to be quite relaxing. As a beginner if I were you I would try and find some info on line or take a beginner class. My first project was a block for a quilt and even tho it turned out ok I wish I had had some help to really know how. I am signed up for my third class, I think I am addicted.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM

Here is a link to one I did awhile back ( actually did several but this one is posted right here)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ne-t26564.html

This one is wool on wool. I used Valdani Pearl Cotton for the applique - it was SO much better than embroidery thread. I also used an Iron-on fusible webbing that I would not do again. It was unreliable as far as keeping the pieces in place and made the pieced stiff. If I were to do another one now, I would either use either the tiny applique pins, small dots of Elmers/Eileens or glue stick in that order to hold the pieces in place.

I had a blast doing it and loved it, It was portable and the results were pretty good!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Here is a link to one I did awhile back ( actually did several but this one is posted right here) http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ne-t26564.html
wow, that's an awesome piece, betty.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
wow, that's an awesome piece, betty.
Thanks , QuiltnNan, it was really fun and not really hard. And, OBTW, I do not hand sew and even I got something that looked reasonable!! lol
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM

I have only done one small applique with wool. I loved working with it. It seemed to hide my mistakes which I really appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM

What fusible did you use? I have done several and always use Steam a seam II Lt. and never had a problem. Made it so much easier.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM

Default wool applique

Shop at Goodwill for your wool. I bring it home throw it in a HOT washer and cold rinse and dry in a hot dryer. Cut it up in pieces. There are 4 of us ladies that shop at used stores for wool. I use no glue; just pin and sometimes pin from the bottom. Vi
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

i do lots of wool applique- wool is wonderful to work with- i purchase alot of my wool from thrift stores/yard sales. i (de=construct) garments removing any interfacings, trims, buttons, seams ect...then i wash it in the washer on a regular cycle with HOT water & detergent- then rinse in cold water- dry in hot dryer...steam press if wrinkled- wools are great for dyeing projects- and you can take a number of different textures & over dye them for a (family) that coordinates.
once it is washed & dried it is ready to cut up & use any way you'd like-
i generally use Perle Cotton's (sometimes i use a wool floss) i use freezer paper templates- it presses to the wools easily- peels off without leaving residue & you don't have to reverse patterns like you do for fusables...i do not use fusables- i tried them once years ago & found them unreliable- not a good choice for the wools- i either just hold a piece with my fingers or i pin it. i do lots of wool appliques on flannel quilts, some projects that are wool on wool- i just love working with wool!
garments, purses/totes, rugs, quilts...all are fabulous made from felted wools!
heres a couple little samples-
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391755[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]391756[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]391757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails february-crazy-block.jpg   2more-wool-hawaiian.jpg   wool-appl-blocks.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM

I fuse my pieces with Wonder Under (not stiff at all) and use Presencia size 8 Perle cotton. Be sure to let the fusible cool completely before you attempt to tear the paper off. I've been known to pop the pieces into the 'fridge for a few minutes...

Betty, LOVE your piece! I'm wondering if you may have used Heat & Bond? It's not meant for applique, but for crafty things that don't get sewed down. Horrible stuff...almost impossible to hand needle and makes your project feel like cardboard.