Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool batting >

Wool batting

Wool batting

Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Has anyone machine washed and dried wool batting? I am reading conflicting information on it.

I want a really warm quilt that I will be machine quilting. I have made a quilt with minky and warm and natural cotton batting and I like the warmth but I have already chosen a coordinating cotton fabric for the back.

I don't know if I should go for the wool or try something like the Quilter's dream puff batting that says it is warmer than down.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE QUILTERS DREAM WOOL!!! IT IS MY FAVORITE BATT! and the quilt on my bed has it- and has been washed many times- it is beautiful! it is warm! it is lightweight...
i don't know what kind of 'conflicting' information you have been reading- but just read the packaging...the packaging will tell you all about it- it doesn't shrink as much as cotton- is incredibly soft/fluffy/ fabulous to needle- by machine or by hand-
if it wasn't so expensive i would use it in most of my quilts-
because of cost i only use it in special ones. but i love using it-i've now used it in about 12 quilts- it is wonderful!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
I LOVE QUILTERS DREAM WOOL!!! IT IS MY FAVORITE BATT! and the quilt on my bed has it- and has been washed many times- it is beautiful! it is warm! it is lightweight...
i don't know what kind of 'conflicting' information you have been reading- but just read the packaging...the packaging will tell you all about it- it doesn't shrink as much as cotton- is incredibly soft/fluffy/ fabulous to needle- by machine or by hand-
because of cost i only use it in special ones. but i love using it-i've now used it in about 12 quilts- it is wonderful!!!
Am I ever glad this came up!!!!! I was at an estate sale this weekend and I bought a wool blanket (never used) and I was thinking of cutting it into fours and using it as baby quilt batting. Or maybe a couple of coverlet battings or even for a big quilt. Is this possible or do I have to use regular wool batting. From what I understand so far is that it would have to be washed in cold water. I paiad $1.00 for it and in this day and age to be able to get "batting" for that is a real coup!!!!!! Thanks for your help on this one! Edie
Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 AM

I love quilters dream wool, too. I think it gives a trapunto look when quilted.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I love quilters dream wool, too. I think it gives a trapunto look when quilted.
I've used Hobbs Washable Wool and love it! It washes well on cold and I line dry most of the way, then fluff it in the the dryer. It was an absolute dream to machine quilt!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by ckcowl
Am I ever glad this came up!!!!! I was at an estate sale this weekend and I bought a wool blanket (never used) and I was thinking of cutting it into fours and using it as baby quilt batting. Or maybe a couple of coverlet battings or even for a big quilt. Is this possible or do I have to use regular wool batting. From what I understand so far is that it would have to be washed in cold water. I paiad $1.00 for it and in this day and age to be able to get "batting" for that is a real coup!!!!!! Thanks for your help on this one! Edie
I'd wash and dry it first for sure. Wool can shrink SIGNIFICANTLY, like by 1/3 or so if accidentally washed in warm water. So be sure that the recipient understands the care requirements.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 AM

A wool blanket might react different than wool batting. I would wash a piece first before putting into a quilt.
I washed and dryed a quilt with wool batting, no problems; came out great. I don't remember if it was Hobbs or Quilters Dream.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 AM

Edie-I have used wool blankets for batting and they're great, BUT one warning, they are HEAVY, but if you cut into fourths, they may be okay.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I got a beautiful rose colored wool blanket from my cousin, who didn't want it. Washed OK without shrinkage. I was going to piece a top & quilt it onto the blanket without a backing to use on the porch.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Edie-I have used wool blankets for batting and they're great, BUT one warning, they are HEAVY, but if you cut into fourths, they may be okay.
I know. This one is a real heavy one. I should wash it in cold water first and hang it out on the line to dry. Might do that this AM. It is a beautiful dry warm day today, so it might be the best time. I should probably measure it also, eh? Edie