Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wool batting

I was recently at the Quilt Study Center in Lincoln where they have a gallery displaying quilts with "issues" like damage from exposure to light, disintegration of old dyes and chemicals and insect damage. Since we are all getting excited about using the new wool battings, will we need to do something to protect our quilts from insect invasion if we use the wool battings or is the batting treated some way to protect it? Just wondering?

Good question!

Blog Entries
    Wow!!! I never thought about that!!! Thank you for bringing this up :D:D:D

Interesting. I had no thought of that. I'm sure they are treated with something.

Hmmmm...good question to email the companies and ask. Never thought of it before.

Banned
    That is a great question. I just checked my info card that I got from Quilters Dream Batting and none of their batting say anything about how long is should last. They send out a really nice sample of all their battings for free and there is no minimum order required. If anyone is interested in this their website is http://QuiltersDreamBatting.com
    Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

Blog Entries
    I don't think I would want a wool batting that has been treated in some way. What would they use? Insecticide? Moth ball type chemicals or some other repellent? I wouldn't want to be breathing in a chemical all night long every night under a quilt. I'd rather take my chances with insect damage!