Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool for Charity/ World Relief Quilts and Comforters? >

Wool for Charity/ World Relief Quilts and Comforters?

Wool for Charity/ World Relief Quilts and Comforters?

Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Wool for Charity/ World Relief Quilts and Comforters?

Our quilt group has been gifted lots of wool---some yardage, some from clothing. I plan to wash it to shrink and to help keep it from raveling.

We make a lot of comforters/quilts for world relief--through Lutheran World Relief and Mennonite Central Committee. Have any of you made quilts/comforters from wool that was destined for world relief? Did you wash it first to help keep bugs away and shrink the wool? I would think it would make a really warm comforter, but am hesitant to use it for world relief if it will be a problem with bugs.

Any problems or suggestions if you used wool in a relief quilt? Or do you think it would be better to use the wool for the charity quilts we donate locally?

I'm concerned that bugs in other countries might find the wool enticing even though most likely the comforters would never be stored away like here in North America. They might be used on the floor, or as a room divider, etc. But, they most certainly might be used on a bed.

Am I correct in thinking that just because you wash the wool it will not keep bugs away?

I'm hoping those of you who make world relief quilts/comforters will respond with your experiences if you have ever used wool.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

One can wash some woven woosl in cool water and minimal agitation and - usually- it will not shrink very much.

Then line dry - or dry on low, gentle cycle in a dryer until barely dry.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:33 PM

Many of these organizations have strict guidelines as to what they will and won't accept for distribution. My Mom donated her time to the Mennonite Central Committee. I remember her telling me that they had to reject certain fabrics and even certain types of print/design because it was deemed unacceptable in the country it would be going to.

I would contact the organizations--go to the horses's mouth so to speak--and ask. It would be sad to put in the cost, work and time, only to find that the the quilts would be rejected.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 PM

My advice is that wool would be better in the US. Any nursing would love to have wool for their older, cold all the time, residents.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Your are correct. Washing will not keep the bugs away and being in use does not mean that the bugs won't be a problem either.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
Your are correct. Washing will not keep the bugs away and being in use does not mean that the bugs won't be a problem either.
Yeah, I was afraid of that! Thanks for your response
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by trish b View Post
My advice is that wool would be better in the US. Any nursing would love to have wool for their older, cold all the time, residents.
That's a great idea. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I make donation quilts for our foster kids. Having to be removed from whatever living conditions. Lots of help needed in our country.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:58 AM

Our quilt group makes lap size quilts for Veteran's, and smaller baby, toddler size quilts for domestic violence shelters for women and children. We also were working to send quilts to organizations in other countries and found there is a greater need here in our own community.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 AM

I was told that everything in nursing homes gets washed in hot water so whatever kind of quilt is given would need to be able to stand up to that. I gave my MIL a small lap quilt when she was in the nursing home but she just kept it thrown over a chair. It has some psalms on it and she just liked to look at it so it never got washed. She passed and I have it back, a memory now.