Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wool Quilt

Has anyone heard of making a wool quilt? Not applique but actually piecing the top in wool. My husband has been asking for one for years now (loves black watch plaid) and he just recently bought me a new Bernina for my bd. I don't know where to begin looking for the wool and choosing a pattern to go along with it. Just thought I would ask one of you talented gals cause I'm sure if it can be done you girls will know how.

We made several years ago when we got a lot of wool scraps from a garment factory.

wool trip around the world
    Name:  Attachment-219427.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  41.2 KB

wool Log Cabin
    Name:  Attachment-219428.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  89.5 KB

wool quilts are lovely. It depends on the type and weight of wool you use for the quilt. In the olden days when there was not so much poly fabrics out there I used to get wool plaid pleated skirts, it was light weight, and make quilts from them. Now I can't find them so I think you will have to go to a fabric store and look at what is on offer. It will give you a chance to see what the different weights are and if the blends work for you. The advantage of using a blend is that there is lots less shrinkage. Remember if you use 100% wool and you wash it, it will felt up a lot. If you find a wool you like, then buy a half yard, wash and dry it several times...wool with shrink more than once. Otherwise be prepared to have your quilt dry cleaned. If you use wool, even with a cotton backing you will probably not need much of a batt if any at all. think of it as a real exploration of a wonderful fiber.

In the days of yore, many of the quilts were made of wool fabric.... they used whatever was available.

There's no reason why you can't use whatever fabric you wish. Just keep in mind that it's wool when it's time to launder!

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane
    Has anyone heard of making a wool quilt? Not applique but actually piecing the top in wool. My husband has been asking for one for years now (loves black watch plaid) and he just recently bought me a new Bernina for my bd. I don't know where to begin looking for the wool and choosing a pattern to go along with it. Just thought I would ask one of you talented gals cause I'm sure if it can be done you girls will know how.
    It's been done for years and years.

Wow, those are really beautiful! So I guess I could choose any pattern but just be careful of the weight and probably a blend is easier to work with.

Tweed is wonderful to work with as well.

I would stick to larger pieces, I would not recommend a small piece Log Cabin in wool.

I've made lots of wool quilts over the years, from queen size down to couch size. They've all had wool backings and regular batting, the newer ones with wool batting. I live in northern New England and love the weight of a solid wool quilt in the winter...it means I can turn the heat way down at night and save a few bucks on the oil bill!! :lol:

I get wool from a local mill store at an excellent price, do not prewash it, and do not make any adjustments to the planned pattern just because it's wool. Wash in cold water on gentle cycle and they will neither shrink nor felt...no need to use blends for those reasons. Never had any problems at all and some of the quilts are going on 40 years old.

I have 2 pure wool quilts handed down to me from my MIL. I believe DH's grandmother made them, so that was probably back around the war era.
    They are 9 patches and tacked. I keep them in the cedar chest now.