Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Quilters Only >

Wool Quilters Only

Wool Quilters Only

Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Wool Quilters Only

Once the top is finished, then what? How is the quilt backed - if at all? If it's backed, how is it bound?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 PM

The ones that I have seen have all been sandwiched with batting and then quilted and bound like a regular quilt. You can back it with cotton or flannel or whatever you like. I suppose you don't have to sandwich with batting but the quilting will show up better with it. Can you give us more information about your top?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM

The felted wool I have worked with was only in wallhangings. I found this site with vintage quilts for sale & reading it, they appear to be backed with cotton fabrics. http://www.rockymountainquilts.com/f...uilts_wool.php
I have also made small felted wool candle mats & they were backed with a wool piece the same shape as the front & then blanket stitched together around the edges.
How large is your quilt?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I have made 1 wool 50 X 50 inch wallhanging out of wool coat factory scraps. I used an square in a square Amish design to minimize the seams. I used a regular poly batt in the sandwich and hand quilted it with a larger stitch. I used regular quilting black fabric for the binding.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

my wool quilts have a batting and a backing- is quilted then bound-just like any other quilt i've made- the black- backyard gathering quilt has a black flannel backing- hobbs black 80/20 heirloom batting - was machine quilted on the long arm- then bound with the black flannel.
my other wool quilts have had either flannel or regular cotton backs- depending on the quilt- and bound with what ever was appropriate for that quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]384858[/ATTACH]i am just finishing up 2 more of this quilt- one is ready to load & quilt-the second i am finishing the appliques that go around the outer corners-then it will be ready to quilt...so excited to move on to a new wool project.
Attached Thumbnails wool-applique-whole.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Sorry ladies - have been down with bronchitis - which was almost cleared up when the superflu hit me. Now that I am among the living again, I can offer some details of the quilt. I have purchased some white wool, about 50x50 square for the background of a wall hanging. I think it'll be a wall hanging, anway. Over the years I have been collecting small wool pieces and hit the jackpot at a regional quilt festival where I found a box of multicolored die-cut wool circles, ranging from 1" diamater to 2 or 2 1/4" in diameter. I want the circles to seem to be floating somewhat cohesively in an open design, like a bunch of bubbles coming out of a source on the lower left area of the quilt; the circles will be connected by wool stitches. I would have continued to collect wool scraps but was pushed into action when a gentleman walked into a guild meeting and offered a Supersatchel filled with wool threads from his deceased wife's wool embroidery. I'll surely do more than this wall hanging with the threads, but it's a start and there are soooo many colors to play with.

THANK YOU ALL who responded, confirming my initial guess of backing and optional batting.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM

No to hijack the post, but here is a question that I have - can you do wool aqpplique on the cotton or flannel background or does it have to be a wool background?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM

You can definitely do wool applique on a cotton or flannel background. An all wool background would be very expensive if you're doing a larger piece. There are a couple of lines of cottons that are made to look like wool: Maywood has Woolies and Primitive Gatherings does one called Wool and Needle Flannels. When you look at them they look like wool but they are flannels which definitely reduce the cost. For me, though, I like the look of a cotton background. I think it helps give added dimension to the wool.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Your design sounds interesting and fun. What a stroke of luck on your wool finds! I've been collecting bits of wool for awhile now and I have an ok little stash going. I'm hoping to find a little bit more at an upcoming fibre festival. The rug hookers have a booth and they always brings tons of wool and decent prices. I hope that you'll share pics of your project as you can.

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar View Post
Sorry ladies - have been down with bronchitis - which was almost cleared up when the superflu hit me. Now that I am among the living again, I can offer some details of the quilt. I have purchased some white wool, about 50x50 square for the background of a wall hanging. I think it'll be a wall hanging, anway. Over the years I have been collecting small wool pieces and hit the jackpot at a regional quilt festival where I found a box of multicolored die-cut wool circles, ranging from 1" diamater to 2 or 2 1/4" in diameter. I want the circles to seem to be floating somewhat cohesively in an open design, like a bunch of bubbles coming out of a source on the lower left area of the quilt; the circles will be connected by wool stitches. I would have continued to collect wool scraps but was pushed into action when a gentleman walked into a guild meeting and offered a Supersatchel filled with wool threads from his deceased wife's wool embroidery. I'll surely do more than this wall hanging with the threads, but it's a start and there are soooo many colors to play with.

THANK YOU ALL who responded, confirming my initial guess of backing and optional batting.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM

I just have a question. I'm also collecting wool for a applique quilt. I'm also stuck with what to use. Applique on wool or flannell. How to check the qualty of the flannel. I was thinking that the flannel would be lighter then wool.
The only wool applique that I have done was a table mat. My understanding of felted wool is when it have been washed in hot water and dryed.