Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Suiting Quilt >

Wool Suiting Quilt

Wool Suiting Quilt

Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Wool Suiting Quilt

I've been thinking of putting together a wool quilt but had trouble finding pictures for ideas. However, I just learned a new term: "wagga." These Australian quilts were made of sacking originally but were often also made of tailor's samples of men's suiting. Google the term--fascinating stories--and great pictures.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 PM

My mother used to tell about growing up in the Midwest and making log cabin quilts out of the old wool clothing. The younger girls cut the strips and the older ones sewed them together. I've always thought about making one of those quilts but living here in Houston, it would never get used. It's much too hot here.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I made one as a girl, out of wool clothing. No batting, just an old sheet on the back. it was really warm.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM

I have been saving wool jackets and will be cutting them up ...no batting or back sheet. Will use on the bed as a blanket on top of my quilt. its very cold here and can use the extra heat.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I saw one in a quilt shop that has gone out of business. It was various wool suiting interspersed with decorator fabrics. No batting. Different decorative stitches. It was beautiful and I have one in my UFO stack
Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM

The only bad thing is that you cannot wash a wool quilt - you will have to have it dry-cleaned.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM

DH's late grandmother made quilts from suitings and she usually used the Trip Around The World pattern...same pattern on front and back and tied the quilt. Most of the fabrics around the sides were dark, but she had lighter colors in the center. She did use batting...what it was, I don't know, but it was heavy! I still have one such quilt upstairs, and I'll try to post a pic at a later time....I'm getting ready for work at present.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM

to Nikki,
If you wash your wool before you cut it up and make the quilt you most certainly can wash the finished quilt. You take the quilt to a laundramat and wash it in one of the big load machines that tumbles the items in a revolving tub of water. Use lukewarm or cool water, gentle cycle if available. The dry the quilt in one of the huge dryers ON LOW HEAT.
Trust me, it works. I've done it.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM

I have a wool quilt that my grandmother owned. I don't know if she made it or if the ladies at the church did, but it is made of old suits and overcoats that belonged to my mother, my uncles and my aunts. They are all gone now and I enjoy looking at it and thinking about them. One uncle and one aunt I never met because the died before I was born. It is among my most treasured keepsakes.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Banned

Several books on amazon about wool quilts. Look at " The Wool Quilt" by Jean Dubois. An old book but good.