Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Word to the wise >

Word to the wise

Word to the wise

Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM

Sad to see this. My mom died at 55 and I am almost 35 so I know you can't waste a day. I just bought the quilt kit I want to make for my babies wedding. She is only 5 but I always think what if I wait to long so I am in that boat where I believe you should never treat today as if you have tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 PM

I am the only one in my extended family who quilts. Grandmas, aunts, cousins, sisters, mom...none of them quilted/quilts. None of my friends quilt. (except one and she lives across the country.) My stash is fairly small...haven't figured out what to do with it yet!!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM

I went a to sale this past Friday of a deceased quilter. This lady had a ton of supplies. Her daughter was basically giving it away. Seems no one in her family quilted. Here's my list of things I got and you will be shocked at what I spent.

190 yards of fabric
2- Ott lights table and floor
12- kits
20- patterns
mini iron
10- templates
25- spools of thread
3- packages of thangles
Supplies to do applique
Supplies to do picture quilts

I know there's some other items just can't think what they are. Spent a total of 150.00. Just so sad it went so cheap. She belonged to a Guild but guess she didn't want them to have it.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 AM

I am fortunate to have two DD and a DIL who quilt with me once a week so I guess you all know where my stuff is going. But I quit buying a lot of fabric several yrs ago cause there is always new fabric coming every year. So its mostly my sewing machines and notions. I give my quilts away as soon as they are done. They can;t keep anyone warm laying on my spare bed. LOL
Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Thanks. I needed this thread. I do put off until tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 AM

I knew someone about 7 yrs ago who died leaving a huge stash like that too. Her dearest friend had to tie up the loose ends...make backs for at least 20 tops ( then I l/a these), and they were then distributed to her children...all the fabric(wall to wall) and templates, gadgets were sold at a quilters garage sale.....fabric went by the pound......put on a scale......you have brought that memory to the front of my brain.....I must do something......
Old 04-20-2015, 04:02 AM

This is a good reminder for us all. I moved a few weeks ago and was brought to an awareness of just how much fabric I had accumulated in just over five years of quilting. And my tastes have changed a lot in that five years as well as an understanding of what I will use and what I won't.

The organizer of a sewing group I go to a couple of times a month asked last week for yardage for quilt backs. She organizes a lot of charity quilts and had lots of tops with no yardage for backs. I came home and found about 15 yards of fabric that I know I will never use so it is sitting here waiting to be delivered. I know there is more when I get a little more organized ... I'm still in the "where did I put that?" phase of the move.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 AM

I told my son to call the ladies I quilt with every week. They will come and take it all away. We have an auction every year so it will go there. Not a problem for my "boys".
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 AM
Suz

I also have an agreement with a dear quilting friend, that she or I will finish any project that either has in progress. She has granddaughters who now quilt and my daughter also quilts, so our agreement should be changed. The youngsters were all little when we made this agreement. My one granddaughter is to get my serger, my daughter my two Berninas and she will take all the fabric and supplies, etc.

I am fond of scrap quilts and have been trying very hard to reduce the stash. I am presently working off a "pledge" to my church by quilting/sewing. So far, 5 baby quilts (imagine - two sets of boy/girl twins), a twin bed, 4 table runners, and throw pillows. I looks as though I will exceed my pledge - which is a good thing. Also made a queen for a dear friend (gift only). However, the stash does not look any reduced. How does it multiply??

Thanks for the heads-up. We are not promised tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 AM

That is a good reminder to us all. I hope her belongings find good homes. To me any inherited or gifted stash is particularly valuable for having been previously owned.