Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with a "Customer" >

Working with a "Customer"

Working with a "Customer"

Old 10-08-2016, 03:56 AM

I used to sew for people and one of my policies was if I did it wrong it was free. But I found unless I had them write it down or sign what they wanted some would take advantage. Make notes and write up all needed in the contract and both of you sign it. I liked others ideas since it stirred up my creative juices and you should have fun with it! It sounds like everyone else has given you some great advice!!
Lynda
Old 10-08-2016, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Thank you PaperPrincess for sharing this site.[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7671121]I agree with the other posters. It's not fun, but make sure you get it in writing. This board is littered with posts about quilters getting the short end of the stick.
As your actual question, in addition to showing her photos and your completed work, you can ask some specific questions: what type of item is she looking for? Bed, throw, wall hanging, runner?
Size
fabric types: cotton, flannel...
A non quilting design site, such as Design Seeds ( [URL]https://www.design
Old 10-08-2016, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Great advice to take heed. I was asked to make a quilt few years ago and I flat out told them I didn't do commissioned work because I just liked doing at my own verrrrryyyy ssslllllloooooooowwwwww pace. They were very upset because they needed one within a week. LOLL!! I directed them to a guild.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:10 PM

on your written contract make sure you outline when you can realistically have it done and in their hands.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM

I think everything that has been posted is very good. I don't do commissioned work (unless you count my sisters). I have a Log Cabin Quilt that my youngest sister has commissioned (she pays for the fabric and supplies, and I do the work for her -- my price -- she's a teriffic sister, and I'd gladly make the quilt and give it to her including all the fabric, etc., if I could afford it. I can't afford it and she knows it, so she'd never ask me to make it -- I offered to make it for her if she pays for the fabric (which she has done). I've only made a few quilts and I don't make them to sell, so I really don't have much to add. Except this: my husband was a cabinet maker -- he did custom kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, and yes, even some furniture. If you're building something, or sewing something, (i.e., a quilt), you've got to have the full cost of your materials up front. Otherwise, someone's going to find something to grouch about and refuse to pay. I've seen it happen too many times! And, so many times, people have asked him to build something and they wanted to pay less than his material cost -- it's not a good business plan! I have finished a quilt top I made for myself and I know what I spent, just for the fabric for the quilt top (this is a huge quilt 130" X 114". I spent $300 in fabric, plus I've purchased thread, batting, backing, and who knows what the final cost on this one will be. Since it's for myself, I don't care. Even chain piecing, a Log Cabin Quilt takes a LOT of work! They do make beautiful quilts though!