Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
working with Minkee >

working with Minkee

working with Minkee

Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Smile working with Minkee

I am planning on backing a baby quilt with minkee. Should I even use a batting or just back with the minkee and do maybe just outline quilting on the front? It is a large star and I plan to bind it by turning the minkee from the back over the front edge. Thanks in advance for the help. Minkee is new to me!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

You can add batting or just use the minkee. It's personal preference. You might have a bit of a problem bringing the minkee to the front. Are you planning on folding it under, or just securing the raw edge with a decorative stitch?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:20 PM

I have used minkee as backing on a couple baby quilts. I did not use batting. I used satin blanket binding. You might want to consider that.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM

I haven't used minkey as binding. I would try it out first on a sample and see what you think. You might find out that it's not a good idea. Would be interested in knowing if it did work.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Batting will make it very heavy. I made two quilts the same except on one I used batting and one not. The one with batting is heavy and the parents put it on the floor. The baby literally falls on it. Using it on a bed would not really work.
I have also brought the minkey over from the back to bind it. It works, but be careful of the corners. Minkey is "thick" and some corners work better than others.
Good luck!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 PM

I've made 2 with minky as the backing ( not the binding). The first one, I used regular 80/20 batting. It is too heavy, in my opinion.

The second one, I used bamboo batting. It is our favorite quilt, the one everyone fights over while sitting on the couch. It is the perfect weight, not too heavy, and not too thin. It has body, without the weight. We love it.

For all my future minky quilts, I will only use bamboo.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM

I have used minky on the back of T-Shirt quilts and baby quilts with out a batting and also have used minky for the binding and had no problems. The minky is heavy enough without batting but I tie the quilts! I have not quilted them. I have kinda tacked them, like a button hole stitch back and forth a few times

Last edited by kitah; 01-01-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

ive made many quilts with minky backing- I do use batting- but I live in a cold climate where we want our quilts cozy/warm - it's a personal choice- what ever you want. it is pretty difficult to bring minky from back to front for binding- you might want to do the *pillow case/birthing* method if you do not want to attach a regular binding (if using batting lay down batting put top right side up ontop of batting, put minky right side down *facing the top*; *just put top & backing rightsides together if not using batting) stitch all the way around- leaving an opening for turning right side out- turn right side out- poking out corners (I use a chopstick or crochet hook for that) close opening and quilt as desired.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Wow! this is such great information. Thanks to all who offered their experience. I am probably not going to put in batting and will try to fold over the minkee from the back about 2 inches on the front and then stitch with a decorative stitch. Will try to let you all know how it goes. Thanks again! Happy New Year to all!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:55 PM

I made a quilt for my grandson with minkee backing. I used a flannel sheet for the batting. It worked out well, but was still a bit heavy.