Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working on a tshirts quilt >

Working on a tshirts quilt

Working on a tshirts quilt

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
My son gave me a big bin full of Tshirts that he wants me to put in a quilt. Trouble is I can't get him to narrow the number of shirts down to a reasonable amount. All the motifs are big (he is a big WWII aviation fan-he works on the real ones in his job) so I am really limited on the number of blocks I can use without the quilt becoming humungous. He suggested making it two-sided to use more of the tshirts but I think it would weigh a ton to do it that way.
It will be heavy but it is doable. I just finished one for my daughter we used 60 shirts and it's more patch work cutting shirts to design sizes we even turned some sideways and used smaller design elements of the shirt as patches. Cutting away the unprinted part of the shirt helped a ton on size but added a whole new issue of sewing it together it's not "pretty" but it is pretty awesome. I used a very heavy fuzzy flannel on the back and extra hi loft batting. It is one heavy dog. She wanted it fluffy so it's tied and it's about queen size. For her about reflecting her school years with something she can wrap up in.

This is the thread I posted it in. Someone also posted a link to making bath mats out of the extra t shirt that is cut away I think I'm going to try.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t245059.html
Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Thought you might like to see the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg