Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with White Fabric >

Working with White Fabric

Working with White Fabric

Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 AM

Beautiful blocks and piecing! Is the quilt laying on a 'dark' surface when you took the picture? Does it appear less noticeable if you lay the quilt on a 'white' surface (like the white batting) ... I'll bet it'll be appear better to your eye...you'll still notice it, of course, but it'll be better.

I've never worked with Moda White but I've made a few quilts using Kona White and Kona Snow and didn't see the issue you're showing here.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Nan - Indiana
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 AM

With shadow stitching when you quilt this, you've just created a new "mock trapunto" method! I think your piecing is wonderful. Your points are really points (my weak area!) and your colors look awesome. As for twisting in the pressing, if it's just that one long seam, you could try clipping (carefully!) the spot where it joins the other seam, or pick out that one small section and "flip" the wayward seam the right way! I'm not sure that anyone else would ever notice, if you left it just the way it is! Remember, WE are our own hardest quilting judges! Everyone else if likely to ooh and aahhh over the whole thing.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 AM

I use a lot of white in my quilts and do not notice this as a problem. Once the batting is behind it, and it is quilted, you do not notice it. I do not necessarily use white batting; usually it is off-white. Still no problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:42 AM

No problem--you've already got your lines "marked" for quilting! Good deal. (Congratulations on the accurate 1/4" seams.)
Old 07-19-2014, 04:08 AM

Use a very white batting and that will help to hide those seams. It is just the nature f working with white fabric, so don't stress about it. Go ahead and finish it and I think you will be satisfied with it.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 AM

I normally iron my white over the dark to hide the seems when it comes to white on white I always iron them towards each other as mentioned earlier if the seam is going the wrong way unpick a few stitches and and turn the seam then resew.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm betting everything will turn out great after it allcomes together.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 AM

I do a test seam with whites and most pale fabrics to see if the seam allowance is going to shadow (show through on the front) before I start cutting the pieces. Yellow and pale pink solids frequently do the same as white. When the test seam shadows, I fuse a layer of inexpensive white muslin to the back of the fabric before cutting. Works like a charm. Until I started doing this I totally avoided using white in anything, so it's opened up a whole new world for me.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 AM

I have not been using any whites lately. I hate the seams showing like they did in your quilt. I hold any white fabric I am thinking about buying up and if I can see through it, I won't buy it. It has to be thick for me to even want it in my sewing room. It really limits me to darker colors, but I like them, so there you have it.

Edited to Add: Just read the notes about the interfacing on all the white pieces. I'm not sure if I want to try to use an interfacing with all the white. It seems like a lot of extra work to me. I am a lazy quilter. lol
Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 AM

I have been using a lot of whites lately. I really do not notice it and sure others will not once its all put together. I do iron my seams open. In fact I now iron most of my seams open, less lumpy when FMQ'ing. I have never used white batting, I have a huge roll of warm and natural so just do not need more batting, but that does sounds like a good idea.