Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with White Fabric >

Working with White Fabric

Working with White Fabric

Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM

it actually makes a nice effect there. and i bet once it is quilted it won't be noticible.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 PM

I have seen this many times in quilts and I think it is just what happens when you use white fabric. For this reason I don't use white fabric. Just me I guess. I can't say it is wrong or right as I don't think there is really a way to change it, but I think if you use white you will get this.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Love white fabric and try to ensure the seams go towards the colour. What I hate is finishing the quilt and finding white pieces in the wrong way , ie wrong side out. I have even seen this problem in quilt shows .
Old 07-20-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I use white a lot. When you put your top on the white batting your seam allowances will be much less noticeable. For this reason I use Warm and White cotton batting instead of Warm and Natural. Some white fabrics are heavier than others and yours may have been on the thinner side. But don't worry about seeing some seam allowances they are part of the quilt! Also after it is quilted and washed and crinkled a little you likely won't notice the seam allowances at all.
Agree here. Don't spend any more time worrying about it! Just make sure you finish it and wash it...honestly, you'll be surprised what isn't noticeable anymore.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM

If my only problem with quilting was the white showing through I would be more than tickled to just do all white quilts, you quilt is beautifully matched up and perfect 1/4" seams. I agree with everyone, even though I'm a beginner I always use white batting, I did buy a King sized BLACK batting for a BLK/WHT quilt I made but decided to use white instead as the Blk would have showed through a lot more blocks than the wht did. It turned out good considering it was my very 1'st actual quilt I made.