Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with White Fabric >

Working with White Fabric

Working with White Fabric

Old 07-17-2014, 04:09 PM

Default Working with White Fabric

I just finished up my first quilt using white fabric. I am very frustrated. I was focused so much on making sure I ironed everything correctly so the seems would join smoothly, when noticed that all my white seems show. I generally made a mess and am trying to iron everything so it lies flat, regardless of color. Some seems are twisted where I changed direction. So how should I have done this? I've attached a picture of what I ended up with. I am awaiting some white batting, but even with that, I can still see the seems. Maybe this is just the nature of sewing with white???!!
Attached Thumbnails img_0912.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM

I anxiously await responses for this dilemma. For this very reason I try not to use white in a quilt. Of course, I usually press to the dark but sometimes a seam dictates which way to press.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Part of it certainly is just the nature of working with white fabric. I usually press my seams open so there is not quite as much show through. You will get some regardless. I think by the time you lay this over you batting it will be less noticeable.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:23 PM

I use lots of white - actually white on white prints - in my quilts and rarely have this problem .... and usually it disappears once the batting is behind it. Maybe it was the weight of the white fabric you chose? Hoping that the batting will ease the problem and your frustration.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 PM

same here. I don't buy white batting.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 PM

I have used white many times and when I see the seams I use that as a quilting quide and it then become more of the design of the quilt. I mirror the first quilting line at least once and I find it works out very well for me. When you do put the batting behind it will show up less as PenniF pointed out. I know you are going to find the right solution and it will turn out beautifully.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Once the batting is in and quilted the seams will be less noticeable. As for twisted seams, I usually remove a few stitches at the intersection, switch the seam and resew if possible.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM

This happens to me as well. White batting does seem to help. I agree, try to gently unsew the twisted seam, correct the problem and resew. Good luck and hope the batting takes care of the problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I consider the seams showing as part of the design. Oma66 has said it well. White batting helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

The batting and quilting will lessen the seams shadow so much you won't notice them. I wouldn't give it another thought.