Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}? >

The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Well, let see, I am working on a quilt that must be done May 1, another that is overdue, another 3 are on request, and just for good measure, I am now making a Prom Formal for my niece needs to be one and delivered to Texas, by April 1st. I've got two dogs that NEED a bath, and I am working with a board member to design and make our own miniature Dresden plate quilt, and I sprained my right hand last night. Worst mistake I made while quilting? Should be obvious, I got up this morning ! Mwahahahahaha! :thumbup:
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Originally Posted by penski
just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand
Oh No!, I do hope you have more fabric for the backing. Would it be feasible to sew some blocks like you have on the front and scatter them around on the back to cover that up?
Or make a nice applique to cover it.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
One of my first quilts was supposed to be for a co-worker who was expecting a baby. I found the cutest cat pattern. Bought the fabric -- cut it all out -- started putting it together. Well it was before I learned how careful you must be when cutting and I didn't have a clue about 1/4" seams. I think the sloppily cut fabric is still languishing in a dark corner somewhere. Never did do a quilt for my friend. As a matter of fact, didn't do any more quilting for a number of years.
To give your sewing soul a boost - fish it out of that dark and dreary corner...cut it up into strips, add more strips of different colors, and sew them all into pieces bigger than a dinner plate. Iron them, and using the dinner plate as a pattern cut circles! Stitch two together, right sides facing in, turn, and topstitch around the edge and you have made kids placemats ...or....
topstitch a cluster of them on a blue cloud background, sew black thread strings, and you have made a balloon party wall hanging or tabletopper. Come to think of it, balloons do come in kitty shapes don't they?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by Gerbie
just a hour ago i was working on a quilt and for some stupid reason i cut a big hole in my backing !!!and it has already been quilted !!! i dont know where my mind was while i had scissors in my hand
Oh No!, I do hope you have more fabric for the backing. Would it be feasible to sew some blocks like you have on the front and scatter them around on the back to cover that up?
Or make a nice applique to cover it.
If you are really desolate, can you cut it up and make a smaller quilt, or two, or some beautiful pillows out of it?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
I made an Irish Chain once, and discovered AFTER cutting all my strips, sewing them all together, slicing them up the other way and sewing the slices into blocks- that I didn't have a quarter inch seam! All of my block A's were a different size than my block B's!

And just yesterday I left a bag full of fabric I had been using on the floor next to the chair I had been sitting in, and the next morning the cat used it as a litter box! Arghhh!!!
I'm curious! What did you do? make two quilts?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104932-1.htm this is about my first quilt,
That is about the funniest quilt story I ever heard!
"Put it in a wheel barrow to get it to the bedroom!"
"600 hard as stones pincushions sewed together...."
I wonder what they did with it in Alaska?
Thanks so much luv, for a good laugh!
I have had a sad, difficult week! Honestly, I needed nothing so much as a really good laugh!
Thanks Thanks thanks! Jeannie
Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 AM

I have hand quilted onto my nightie.Another time I cut a hole in a pictire quilt,then appliqued a crow over it.Have also cut a mitre the wrong way.DH always tells me,"measure twice,cut once".I didn't listen.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:55 AM

OH YEA! That's good. That's an idea! If i did that and let everyone KNOW, then I could be sure no one one interupt me.lol
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 AM

I was filling out the form to enter a quilt. As I placed the quilt on a table, I wondered what the small lump was ? ? ? A safety pin sewn INSIDE the quilt.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Doing it's own thing which mine does more each day. I have to keep calling it back. :cry: Hope you at least get a laugh out of these posts.