Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
would appreciate some fabric opinions, please. >

would appreciate some fabric opinions, please.

would appreciate some fabric opinions, please.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Default would appreciate some fabric opinions, please.

I'm going to be making a log cabin quilt, darks on one side, lights on the other. The gold fabric in the front is for the center block, and the brown fabric in front is for the border. Could you please look at the picture and let me know if anything screams "get me outta here" to you. Also, since this is going to be scrappy, should I not use Kona solids? I'm afraid that it would be too confusing with prints and solids. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[ATTACH=CONFIG]502882[/ATTACH]Thanks! Michelle
Attached Thumbnails 2014-12-17-15.18.52.jpg  
Old 12-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

The only thing that might just scream is that red one with the tiny circles. But sometimes you need one or to that are a little loader should we say. I agree with you. I wouldn't use any solids. That center fabric looks more like a yellow in the picture. I would do a test block first to see if that works. Good Luck. Please post a photo when you have completed the top.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM

I think these are a pretty good mix. The only one I have any question about is the bottom one in the "lights" stack. Can't tell if it is more like the right hand end showing or the left end because of the uneven lighting. If it is like the left end then I think it is a little dark to be used as a light fabric. If more like the right end then it will be fine.
It looks to me like all your prints except the one for the border are pretty small scale which would play well with solids. I wouldn't use a lot of solids but a few strips here and there will blend in well with the prints, in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

The only one that looks really out of place to me is the yellow you plan for the centers. Seems to me it will look like square "eyes" in the center of every block. I think this is because I don't see that yellow picked up in any of the other fabrics. I could be wrong, though. In this situation I would definitely make a test block.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I did one with the same color palet as your, similar. the center one should be red or yeloow. symbolizing the fire in the fireplace or the light in the house. love your colors. use the solids. they strips are small and some of your prints will read solid froma a distance. go for it, love the yellow as the ctr.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:51 PM

I highly recommend constructing your log cabins using Judy Martin's method of pre-cutting all the strips. You can then design each log cabin block on your design wall.

You'd be surprised at what you can get away with doing it her way.

I love your fabric choices except for the yellow center fabric. I'd choose either a very light fabric in the light-fabrics colour range or a very dark fabric in the dark-fabrics colour range.

Or you can do what I do and not choose a different colour for the center at all.

Less traditional but it works.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:53 PM

To me the bottom in the light pile looks too dark. Try using photo shop or simular program and make this picture black and white to see how they actually read. I see no problem with mixing solids in like Lynnie said your strips are narrow and your going scrappy it will be very pretty.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The only one that looks really out of place to me is the yellow you plan for the centers. Seems to me it will look like square "eyes" in the center of every block. I think this is because I don't see that yellow picked up in any of the other fabrics. I could be wrong, though. In this situation I would definitely make a test block.
I agree. It is the only one that seems off.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 PM

I agree with bjchad. The bottom 1 of the light stack looks a little dark. The gold I think will work fine. Your border fabric looks like it has some gold/yellow so it should tie together.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM

I wonder if the solids will stand out more than you would like. They can, sometimes.

hugs,
Charlotte